[comp.sys.ibm.pc] videotape backup

tss@lanl.gov (Timothy S Sullivan) (03/27/90)

Can someone help me locate information on a company that supplies
a board that allows one to back up your hard disk to a standard
videotape recorder? I remember seeing an ad a few months ago,
but don't remember where or the name of the company. Please
email direct to tss@lanl.gov.

Thanks,
	Tim Sullivan

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (03/28/90)

In article <46808@lanl.gov>, tss@lanl.gov (Timothy S Sullivan) writes:
> Can someone help me locate information on a company that supplies
> a board that allows one to back up your hard disk to a standard
> videotape recorder? I remember seeing an ad a few months ago,
> but don't remember where or the name of the company. Please
> email direct to tss@lanl.gov.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Tim Sullivan

There is a company in seattle called omnitronix which makes a VCR backup
board for about $180.  I have one and while it seems to function OK, I have
had some questions which I can not get them to answer.  There is a program
called 'findrom' or something like that which is used to locate available
memory space (the card is memory mapped).  Their findrom program does not
agree with a little program I wrote - we agree on some of the ROM space,
however, we do not agree on what is free and what is RAM (if I get 0xff
and can not change it I assume that it is RAM.  I also dump the following
8 bytes for each block to see if that shows anything other than 0xff).  I
have called them several times to see if I could talk to the guy who wrote
the code - they say (chris) that they will call me.  So far, I have not
been able to get an answer in 6 weeks.  Until I know which of us is wrong,
I am a bit hesitant to use the board in the system with other hardware
running.  If you are interested, their number is (206) 624-4985.  Other
than that 'problem', it seems to work OK.  You do have to play with the
'sharpness' control on your VCR and run a test program, but it is not bad.

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")