[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Logitech TRACKMAN

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (03/25/90)

Has anyone test driven this trackball?  (Er, I mean, "mouse replacement"!)  I
felt it up at a computer show this weekend and just wasn't sure.  I mean, I
was this [small amount] close to buying it, and someone had it for $79, but
... I read somewhere it's the "most comfortable trackball around".  Likewise,
I heard from someone the cursor movement was sluggish.  Perhaps this is
related to Logitech's way of doing things:  I wasn't particularly impressed
with the "slow/fast" capability of their mouse.  It takes a long while to get
used to.

Thanks.

Eric W. Lund *DISCLAIMER "Disclaimers are for weak people."* Prodigy: xcbr22b
UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund *COWS FOR RENT* ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com ** ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil

fredb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Fred Buechler [Devil Mountain Consulting]) (03/27/90)

In article <1960@crash.cts.com> elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) writes:
>Has anyone test driven this trackball?  (Er, I mean, "mouse replacement"!)  I
>felt it up at a computer show this weekend and just wasn't sure.  I mean, I
>was this [small amount] close to buying it, and someone had it for $79, but
>... I read somewhere it's the "most comfortable trackball around".  Likewise,
>I heard from someone the cursor movement was sluggish.  Perhaps this is
>related to Logitech's way of doing things:  I wasn't particularly impressed
>with the "slow/fast" capability of their mouse.  It takes a long while to get
>used to.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Eric W. Lund *DISCLAIMER "Disclaimers are for weak people."* Prodigy: xcbr22b
>UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund *COWS FOR RENT* ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
>Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com ** ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil

I've been using one for about 2 weeks now.  I just love the thing.  I wish
I'd seen one at $79 :-)

Thought I'd try to get the Quattro Pro mouse rebate.  After all, they call the
Trackman a "mouse device".  No Dice :-(

One tip: I like the ballistic driver set on the high mode best.  I leave the
mouse sensitivity at the default.  To save memory, I only load the driver,
not the menu or the control panel.  Good luck.  Feel free to ask more
questions.

Fred Buechler                           fredb@llama.rtech.com
Devil Mountain Consulting, Inc          71261.2747@compuserve.com
Concord, California                     # include <DISCLAIMERS.STD>
"Don't test for an error condition that you don't know how to handle"

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (03/27/90)

>Has anyone test driven this trackball?  (Er, I mean, "mouse replacement"!)  I

I have had a Trackman for a couple of months now. It really works.
You can drag one handed which was the one deficiency in a trackball
over a mouse. It was a little awkward at first as I did not have
the reflexes to point with my thumb as I had with my hand but
I soon was pointing and dragging as quickly with my thumb as my hand.
However it still does not feel quite as "right." OTOH the Trackman
stays in one location so my hands can always find it. This is very
useful for applications (e.g. word processing) where my hands are
always moving between the Trackman and the keyboard. This is a
real winner.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/27/90)

In article <1960@crash.cts.com>, elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) writes:

> Has anyone test driven this trackball?  (Er, I mean, "mouse replacement"!)  I
> felt it up at a computer show this weekend and just wasn't sure.  I mean, I
> was this [small amount] close to buying it, and someone had it for $79, but
> .... I read somewhere it's the "most comfortable trackball around".  Likewise,
> I heard from someone the cursor movement was sluggish.  Perhaps this is
> related to Logitech's way of doing things:  I wasn't particularly impressed
> with the "slow/fast" capability of their mouse.  It takes a long while to get
> used to.

I have one and greatly prefer it to a mouse.  The installation (bus version)
was straightforward and it worked first time with all of my applications.
My only complaint is that the overall "feel" of the construction is rather
cheesy: e.g., the plastic case seems thin and flimsy; the ball is a
bit loose; the unit does not quite sit flat on my desk, etc.  From a
functional standpoint, though, it is excellent.
Ray Arritt                        |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy    |
Univ. of Kansas                   |
Lawrence, KS  66045               |
arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu         |
arritt@ukanvax.bitnet             |

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/28/90)

In article <1960@crash.cts.com> elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) writes:
>Has anyone test driven this trackball?  (Er, I mean, "mouse replacement"!)  I
>heard from someone the cursor movement was sluggish.  It takes a long while
>to get used to.

I have one at work ... not many of my applications use it (but if I get X on
my PC I will :-) ), but so far I have not found it to be bothersome.  I
generally prefer optical mice (have one at home) so any mechanical is "weird"
to me.  Dragging is easier than I thought, and the layout is excellent, much
superior to the "real inverted mouse" trackball others make.  If i's a
trackball you want, go for "the man", otherwise I'd stick with the optical
mouse mouse myself.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr