[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4dos question

sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (03/22/90)

I just installed 4dos 3.0 on my V20 machine, and everything seems to work
fine, except that I can't figure out why I get two loud beeps during bootup
when the 4dos.com is executed.  Is it supposed to do this?  It's annoying!

Dan Schikore
sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

consp06@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) (03/22/90)

Yes,  it is unfortunately supposed to BEEP like that.  I find it
annoying as well.  Makes me want to clip the damn speaker off.

						-Rob Konigsberg

chris@zork2.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) (03/22/90)

> fine, except that I can't figure out why I get two loud beeps during bootup
> when the 4dos.com is executed.  Is it supposed to do this?  It's annoying!

Yes -it's supposed to do this - BUT - notice that the message about it
NOT being registered goes along with the beeps..  Maybe it gets removed
when you cough up the bucks to register it...Any registered users out there?
chris@zork2.cc.binghamton.edu
chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu    Chris Peck
chris@bingvaxa.bitnet		    SUNY Binghamton, NY
--"Any opinions expressed above are mine, ALL MINE!"--

dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) (03/22/90)

In article <8673@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
>I just installed 4dos 3.0 on my V20 machine, and everything seems to work
>fine, except that I can't figure out why I get two loud beeps during bootup
>when the 4dos.com is executed.  Is it supposed to do this?  It's annoying!

My version of 2.21 does this too. I haven't decided whether or not to
register yet (and it'll take longer for me to decide now that I have 3.0).
The beeps are probably an inducement to register.

On a related tack, is there a way to disable the PC speaker from DOS.
(If not, I'll have to wire a potentiometer into the speaker circuit,
but a software methods would be much better.

dan

Daniel R. Kuespert
Chemical Process Systems Laboratory
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
dank@eng.umd.edu

webb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Thomas Webb) (03/22/90)

In article <3181@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp06@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:

>Yes,  it is unfortunately supposed to BEEP like that.  I find it
>annoying as well.  Makes me want to clip the damn speaker off.
>
>						-Rob Konigsberg

Well, a less drastic move might be to pay JPsoftware for the product,
they will then send you a 'branding' program which will put your name
on the copy and get rid of the beep.  Since it only beeps at boot
time, it really shouldn't annoy you too much anyway...  On the other
hand, I do find that the copywrite that is displayed when a secondary
shell is called a tad messy and bothersome.  Still, it's a minor
peeve, and I find the program is still well worth the money.

-tom
webb@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.edu  "The first duty in life is to assume a pose.
                              What the second is, no one has yet
					discovered."            -Oscar Wilde

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (03/22/90)

>  Resp: 2 of 2 by chris at zork2.cc.binghamton.edu
>> fine, except that I can't figure out why I get two loud beeps during bootup
>> when the 4dos.com is executed.  Is it supposed to do this?  It's annoying!
>Yes -it's supposed to do this - BUT - notice that the message about it
>NOT being registered goes along with the beeps..  Maybe it gets removed
>when you cough up the bucks to register it...Any registered users out there?

  When you register, you get a BRAND program that puts your name and serial
number in the program. And yes, it does shut off the beeps.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.204838.18055@eng.umd.edu> dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) writes:
>In article <8673@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> sks@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:
>>I just installed 4dos 3.0 on my V20 machine, and everything seems to work
>>fine, except that I can't figure out why I get two loud beeps during bootup
>>when the 4dos.com is executed.  Is it supposed to do this?  It's annoying!
>
>My version of 2.21 does this too. I haven't decided whether or not to
>register yet (and it'll take longer for me to decide now that I have 3.0).
>The beeps are probably an inducement to register.

Well, it doesn't beep for me, so maybe it does go away when the
program is registered.
If it's annoying, then good.  4DOS is one of the greatest pieces of
shareware around.

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

ccc@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (03/22/90)

In article <3181@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp06@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:

>Yes,  it is unfortunately supposed to BEEP like that.  I find it
>annoying as well.  Makes me want to clip the damn speaker off.
>
>						-Rob Konigsberg

Register it, and you won't hear the BEEPs anymore.

stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Kite) (03/22/90)

I will relieve the suspense for you, YES the beeps do go
away when you register your copy. (For the asking price, it's
a steal anyway.)

~  If a jimbuck stands alone by the sea, on a night when the    ~
~  dark moon sings, how many grains on sand in a single one of  ~
~  his footprints?                                              ~
~                                                               ~
~  steve kite     -   hp-ptp!stevek   -   stevek@hp-ptp.HP.COM  ~

grnbrg@dukeac.UUCP (Gary Greenberg) (03/28/90)

The noise is your conscience!

The registered version of 4DOS has no such honking, which is designed to make
you pay attention to the "register me" warning on the screen.

I admit not registering mine for several months too, so this is not a true
rebuke (as sometimes is found on the net). Well intended software users can stil
be procrastinators.
--
Gary Greenberg, MD  Duke University Occupational and Internal Medicine
                    919-684-6677