[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm - - Something Bet

dean.milner@canremote.uucp (DEAN MILNER) (03/25/90)

TO: consp06@bingsunf.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg)
Subj: Procomm - - Something Better?
Orga: SUNY Binghamton

%I have been using Procomm Plus for a while now, and I really REALLY
%like it.  One thing that I DON'T like, although this is just a
%limitation of my own lack of abilities, is the lack of protocols for
%it.  So, here are my questions:

%2)  If I were to replace PCPLUS with another program, which should it
%be?  I would like to have much of the same LARGE variety of commands
%and large customization, including expanded macros, editor, screen
%recall, etc.  I have heard much about Telix (sp?) and is that worth
%the download?

Robert Telix is very much worth the download. I used to be a ProComm
user and have switched to Telix. It is *very* flexibly with many built
in protocols including Zmodem and an extensive script language.

The latest version is 3.12. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Good luck!

dean.milner@canremote.uucp
---
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.21 ~ One man's magic is another man's engineering!
 ~ QNet 2.04: :NANet:  MUI  Sydney, N.S.  Cape Breton Regional  (902) 564-5022

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (03/26/90)

I'm also considering switching from Procomm+ to Telix because of the
internal Zmodem (although the next Procomm+ version may have this).
Does Telix allow big packet Kermit or Super Kermit?

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@uncecs.edu           919 286 0411

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar25.200722.27200@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
$I'm also considering switching from Procomm+ to Telix because of the
$internal Zmodem (although the next Procomm+ version may have this).
$Does Telix allow big packet Kermit or Super Kermit?

   As far as I can tell, it only supports plain vanilla Kermit (i.e. up
to 94-byte packets).

   One thing I like about it, though, is that I have yet to make it
crash.  I cannot say the same thing for Procomm's Kermit.
--
               More half-baked ideas from the oven of:
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar25.200722.27200@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>I'm also considering switching from Procomm+ to Telix because of the
>internal Zmodem (although the next Procomm+ version may have this).
>Does Telix allow big packet Kermit or Super Kermit?

No, neither Telix nor Procomm allow long Kermit packages.

Incidentally, in case someone missed it, Telix 3.12 was recently
posted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc, and it is also available by
anonymous ftp eg from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Bruno) (03/27/90)

In article <260EB804.17139@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <1990Mar25.200722.27200@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>$I'm also considering switching from Procomm+ to Telix because of the
>$internal Zmodem (although the next Procomm+ version may have this).
>$Does Telix allow big packet Kermit or Super Kermit?
>
>   As far as I can tell, it only supports plain vanilla Kermit (i.e. up
>to 94-byte packets).
>
>   One thing I like about it, though, is that I have yet to make it
>crash.  I cannot say the same thing for Procomm's Kermit.

Telix kermit has a limit of 90 byte packets.  I use kermit to transfer
stuff between the AT here and a Gould Unix mainframe and a VAX mainframe.
Procomm ALWAYS works flawlessly, Telix NEVER works. I use telix for
everything except kermit transfers.

---jb

sbnicol@rose.waterloo.edu (Scott Nicol) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar27.092917.15420@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>In article <1990Mar25.200722.27200@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>>I'm also considering switching from Procomm+ to Telix because of the
>>internal Zmodem (although the next Procomm+ version may have this).
>>Does Telix allow big packet Kermit or Super Kermit?
>
>No, neither Telix nor Procomm allow long Kermit packages.

   But Telix allows you to define external protocals.  I wrote
a couple of scripts to interface mskermit (3.00) with Telix.  Then,
all you have to do is setup kermit (in the mskermit.ini file) to
do large-packet transfers.  Downloading works transparently, uploading
is almost transparent (you have to enter "s filename" within kermit,
and then "q" when the transfer is complete).

- Scott
Email: sbnicol@rose.waterloo.edu  -or- ...!uunet!watmath!rose!sbnicol
SlowMail: 546 FallingBrook Dr., Waterloo, Ont., Canada, N2L 4N4.
Phone: (519) 725-1980