[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting HD > 1024 cyl SOLVED

vlrugvg@dutrun.UUCP (Ge van Geldorp) (03/29/90)

Some time ago I wrote:
>The problem is that the harddisk has more than 1024 cylinders. I can't find a
>utility to do a low-level format of a disk larger than 1024 cylinders.
>I can tell my setup utility that the disk has 7 heads and 1024
>cylinders, after that I can use lots of utilities to low-level format
>the first 1024 cylinders. However, I wouldn't mind being able to access
>the last 18 MB or so of my drive.
>(BTW, I suppose DOS will have a problem accessing the cylinders > 1024,
>but that doesn't bother me, that part of the disk will be used by
>Xenix).

A number of people recommended Ontracks Disk Manager to handle this
problem. I had already tried an old Disk Manager which I had floating
around (came with a Miniscribe disk) and this old version was unable to
handle more than 1024 cyl.
The kind net.people then informed me that the newer versions could
handle more than 1024 cyl. So I called Ontrack and ordered a new copy.
And indeed, it works. They also supply a device driver for DOS, so I
even could access the upper cylinders from DOS if I wanted to.
I was impressed by the speed at which Ontrack delivered the software
(36 hours, cross-Atlantic!).
Thanks to all the people send their suggestions.

Ge van Geldorp
ge@dutlru2.tudelft.nl
...!uunet!hp4nl!dutlru2.tudelft.nl!ge