[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Orphaned Response

meyer@s.cs.uiuc.edu (09/21/89)

On a related note, I just talked with the IL Dept of Rev., and they informed
me that there is currently no sales tax on software.  Unfortunately, they told
me that they expect the Guv to sign a bill making "Off-the-shelf" software
taxable.  This still would exempt Custom Software, but still...

This is supposed to take effect October 1.  So I guess the moral is to buy
any software you are considering in IL before Oct. 1.

Don Meyer			|  "If there is indeed Artificial Intelligence,
meyer@s.cs.uiuc.edu		|   then it follows that there must also

pathak@s.cs.uiuc.edu (12/28/89)

> Apple Core (the "Beatles" company) sued Apple Computer, not the other
> way around, as alleged above.  Also, the figure ($10,000,000) is a little off.
> I believe they sued for more than what Xerox is using for ($150,000,000).
> A little silly, don't you think?

I believe Apple Computers and Apple Core had made an agreement that allowed
Apple Computers to use the "Apple" name as long as Apple Computers stayed
out of the music business.  The Beatles are suing Apple because Apple is
providing high-quality sound on its computer systems.  Such sound capabilities
would allow Apple Computers to be used as a music synthesizer; allowing
Apple Computers into the music business.

Heeren Pathak
s.cs.uiuc.edu

Standard disclaimers apply.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/90)

Two ways we do it:
a) print, from PC Word, to a postscript file. Then copy this file to 3.5 inch,
   take it over to a Mac with FDHD, and use AppleFile Share to convert the IBM
   postscript file to a regular document. Then use a program called the Font
   Downloader to download the postscript file to the laserwriter.

b) Do the above file transfer using Mac and PC Kermits and a $6.00 RS232 cable.

c) Bring the postscript file into Microsoft word, select all the text, and set
   the style to postscript (Don't ask me how, its in the manual). Then print.

Hope this helps.

Milan
.

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/90)

/* Written  7:24 am  Feb 14, 1990 by harper@convex.com in uxh.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
In article <5@libyan.cs.utexas.edu> glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Gwangwu Lai) writes:

>Be careful when you go shopping for cheap "1.44M" disks.
       <description of Computer Shopper ad deleted>

>I bought 100 DS/HD disks for 169 dollars, which included shipping and
>handling.
>All 100 disks are unmistakably DS/DD disks with a hole punched in the
>upper left-hand corner by a machine and passed off as "DS/HD" disks.!
       <rest of ripoff description deleted>

Actually, this is not even that great of a price for real DS/HD disks as
prices on them have come down a lot.  The latest catalog from MEI/Micro
Center (800-634-3478) lists 3.5" DS/HD disks for $22.25 in lots of 25
($0.89 ea).  These are described as 2 MB unformatted diskettes which is
what you need for 1.44 MB formatted capacity.  I have not tried these
yet (I intend to) but I have purchased their 5.25" diskettes in the past
(several times) and I have always been happy with both the quality and
the promptness of delivery.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)
/* End of text from uxh.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (03/29/90)

I'm going to go buy Gianone's book soon (if the farmer/booksellers
around here can find it) - I need help with the scripts.  It comes with
V3.0.  What is uuencode?

-alan mead : mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu