[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-WINDOWS IN 1024x768 RESOLUTION

sylvain@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( SYLVAIN GINGRAS ) (03/15/90)

I once saw in a store MS-Windows running in 1024x768 mode on an ATI-VGA
Wonder.  I played with it and really enjoyed being able to put so many
open windows at once on the screen.  The only problem came about when I
tried Windows Write.  The default font was awfully small (almost invisible).
Using the Enlarge Font command would not help, I would then get only a few
characters per line on the screen (and on the printer).

As I am about to purchase that card, I was wondering if anyone has ever used
Windows in 1024x768 (or higher resolution) and found a solution to the above
problem.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

						Sylvain Gingras.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (03/16/90)

In article <1930@clyde.concordia.ca>, sylvain@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( SYLVAIN GINGRAS ) writes:
> I once saw in a store MS-Windows running in 1024x768 mode on an ATI-VGA
> Wonder.  I played with it and really enjoyed being able to put so many
> open windows at once on the screen.  The only problem came about when I
> tried Windows Write.  The default font was awfully small (almost invisible).
> Using the Enlarge Font command would not help, I would then get only a few
> characters per line on the screen (and on the printer).
>
> As I am about to purchase that card, I was wondering if anyone has ever used
> Windows in 1024x768 (or higher resolution) and found a solution to the above
> problem.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

I suspect that it's been installed with the VGA (or EGA) screen fonts. If you
install it with the screen fonts for the IBM 8514 screen (which I think is
1024x768) you should get very nicely formed characters on the screen.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (03/17/90)

In article <19108.2600c229@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>In article <1930@clyde.concordia.ca>, sylvain@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( SYLVAIN GINGRAS ) writes:
>> I once saw in a store MS-Windows running in 1024x768 mode on an ATI-VGA
>> Wonder.  I played with it and really enjoyed being able to put so many
>> open windows at once on the screen.  The only problem came about when I

>I suspect that it's been installed with the VGA (or EGA) screen fonts. If you
>install it with the screen fonts for the IBM 8514 screen (which I think is
>1024x768) you should get very nicely formed characters on the screen.
--
>Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au

I did this and the fonts are really nice.  Although they may even be a little
on the big size.  I am planning to take a look at the .FON files and see
if I cannot make a font that is inbetween the 8514 font and the set #6 fonts
which are designed for 640x480 displays.  However, this will work for the
time being.

-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

tomer@rainbow.wbst128.xerox.com (Shmuel Tomer) (03/20/90)

I am using an ATI-VGA Wonder card (in a Gateway 386/20 machine, 4MB
RAM, 65 MB hdd). I have a serious performance problem when using
Windows (either 286 or 386) in the 1024x768 mode, using the driver
provided by ATI, revision 1.03.

Two operations in particular take unreasonable time. Moving a window
around on the screen results in a VERY slow repainting of the
window - this take between 10 to 30 (!) seconds. Scrolling a text
editor (notepad, write etc.) by a single line, either using arrow keys
or by clicking on the arrows in the scroll bar, is also VERY slow.
In contrast, stretching a window is done reasonably fast (though not
as fast as in the standard VGA mode) to the point that the best way to
move a window is to stretch two sides or two corners. Also, paging
through a file (page up/down buttons or clicking on the scrollbar) is
reasonably fast.

I called ATI and was told that it wasn't me - that's the way it works,
and they can do nothing about it until Microsoft comes up with Windows
that has a larger buffer (?). Yet, I can't imagine anybody actually using
Windows with this kind of performance.

Does anybody experience the same problems, or, better yet, does
anybody know of a way to improve the situation? Any information will be
appreciated.

Shmuel

Tomer.wbst128@Xerox.COM

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/21/90)

In article <19108.2600c229@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
> In article <1930@clyde.concordia.ca>, sylvain@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( SYLVAIN GINGRAS ) writes:
> > I once saw in a store MS-Windows running in 1024x768 mode on an ATI-VGA
> > tried Windows Write.  The default font was awfully small (almost invisible).
					       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Using the Enlarge Font command would not help, I would then get only a few
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I suspect that it's been installed with the VGA (or EGA) screen fonts. If you
> install it with the screen fonts for the IBM 8514 screen (which I think is
> 1024x768) you should get very nicely formed characters on the screen.

   I tried MS-Windows 386 in 1024x768 resolution and also found the size of
   the font a strain and the eyes.  I now use 800x600 resolution and can live
   with its small size.  My questions:
			1.  What is the Enlarge Font command?
			2.  How do you change the default font?

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) (03/23/90)

Is anyone running windows with drivers for the IBM 8514-A adapter?
Every six months or so I try and get the drivers and I'm still waiting.
Do they exist?

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/23/90)

In article <14758@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) writes:
>Is anyone running windows with drivers for the IBM 8514-A adapter?
>Every six months or so I try and get the drivers and I'm still waiting.
>Do they exist?

Is your question about finding drivers that work with your particular
system or if IBM 8514-A drivers even exist.

I think they do and I think they even come with the latest versions of
windows 2.1x. (COMMENTS????)

Dean Wallwey

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (03/27/90)

In article <14758@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) writes:
>Is anyone running windows with drivers for the IBM 8514-A adapter?
>Every six months or so I try and get the drivers and I'm still waiting.
>Do they exist?

Yes, they exist for Windows 286 from Version 2.10 up and Windows 386 from
Version 2.11. I have both Windows and it works with the 8514-Monitor ok, but
with some problems on WIndows 386: calender.exe doesn't work any more
and on both windows the screen refresh is slower than on a vga adapter,
if you are using different fonts. But painting of graphics is good.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (03/29/90)

In article <14758@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) writes:
| Is anyone running windows with drivers for the IBM 8514-A adapter?
| Every six months or so I try and get the drivers and I'm still waiting.
| Do they exist?

I just saw a copy of WinNext running on an 8514-A, so a driver for that
particular version of Windows exists.  I don't know, however, if a driver
for a version of Windows that Microsoft will acknowledge exists.
--
Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
"Your degree in Economics is not necessarily an aide to finding gainfull