[comp.sys.ibm.pc] advice w/ laser printers

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (03/23/90)

I am looking for some advice on which laser printer to get. I have looked at
The HP series 2p, the Epson EPX-6000 laser (maybe wrong model number), and the
HP Series 3.  My findings are that for my use, the 3 is too much, although it
is probally the best printer EVER made! The HP 2p lacks a straight thru paper
feed. The epson is like the 2p but has the straight-thru pass.

So here it is... Which is better?
 The HP series 2P   4ppm; 16 fonts
 The Epson          6ppm; 6 fonts

         (I will be using Go-Script POST-SCRIPT Emulator)

If I use the post script emu, than do I really need all of those built in fonts

   thanks-

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (03/27/90)

In article <90081.180614MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
$So here it is... Which is better?
$ The HP series 2P   4ppm; 16 fonts
$ The Epson          6ppm; 6 fonts
$         (I will be using Go-Script POST-SCRIPT Emulator)
$If I use the post script emu, than do I really need all of those built in fonts

   No, and GoScript will not use them.  In fact, the PPM ratings _and_
number of built-in fonts are both pretty useless if you'll be using GoScript
for everything, since the limiting factor as far as time goes is the
processing power of your CPU.  Anything less than a 25 MHz 386+387 with
at least 1M of EMS won't even come close to generating 4 pages of output
in a minute.

   I'd advise you to think about what you'll be using it for other than
for GoScript output, as I doubt you'll use that all the time.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (03/28/90)

>I am looking for some advice on which laser printer to get. I have looked at
>The HP series 2p, the Epson EPX-6000 laser (maybe wrong model number), and the
>HP Series 3.
>
>If I use the post script emu, than do I really need all of those built in fonts

You can get postscript emulation cartridges for the HP Laserjet printers.
I have never used one but all the test reports I have ever read indicate
they are faster than any postscript emulator. Some are actually as
good as a real postscript printer but much cheaper.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (03/29/90)

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:

> In article <90081.180614MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Sols
> >[he asks whether a HP-IIP or an Epson laser is better with GoScript]
>
>    I'd advise you to think about what you'll be using it for other than
> for GoScript output, as I doubt you'll use that all the time.

In fact, if you *are* going to be doing a lot of PostScript output,
you might want to seriously consider a PostScript emulator cartridge.
Although they may only be available for the HP (and it will take up
your only font/whatever cartridge slot in the IIP), it will be a LOT
faster than any PS interpreter, such as GoScript.

If you'll be doing a LOT of PostScript printing, you might be better off
getting a PostScript printer and then buying a HP->PS translator program
for the programs that support HP output but not PS output

If you're not going to be doing a lot of PostScript, then I might
question why you're even considering something like GoScript.  As
Mr. Dunn observed (in a part I deleted), unless you have a fast
386+387 and at least 1MB extended memory, GoScript is going to be
really, really slow.  REALLY slow.  Interpreting PostScript code
is a very processor-intensive task; that's why printers that
support PostScript, like the Apple LaserWriter NTXSDGLKJ (or whatever
letter sequence they're using this week) include on-board 68000's or
68010's.

In fact, you might even be better off printing it to a disk, and
then taking the disk over to Jack's Printing and Photocopying
and running it off on their PostScript printer.  If you only print
out 10-15 pages a month, this might be more economical than any
of the other options.

(BTW, please forgive me if any of this stuff has already been mentioned...
I never saw the original article, just Mr. Dunn's reply.)

--
Marc Unangst                           | "This country is in no way founded
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us    | on the Christian religion."

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (03/29/90)

In article <FJVRg1w161w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>If you'll be doing a LOT of PostScript printing, you might be better off
>getting a PostScript printer and then buying a HP->PS translator program
>for the programs that support HP output but not PS output
>
>If you're not going to be doing a lot of PostScript, then I might
>question why you're even considering something like GoScript.  As
>Mr. Dunn observed (in a part I deleted), unless you have a fast
>386+387 and at least 1MB extended memory, GoScript is going to be
>really, really slow.  REALLY slow.  Interpreting PostScript code
>is a very processor-intensive task; that's why printers that
>support PostScript, like the Apple LaserWriter NTXSDGLKJ (or whatever
>letter sequence they're using this week) include on-board 68000's or
>68010's.

Not true. The lack of a coprocessor is normally not noticeable when printing
text documents, where a small set of fonts and sizes is used. Only when the
files to be printed include a significant fraction of graphics operations,
or _large_ numbers of font and size changes, does a coprocessor
significantly improve performance.

And a dedicated PostScript printer isn't necessarily the fastest way to
print your file. I recently created a PostScript file that took over 20
minutes on a LaserWriter (I don't know how much over it would take, because
I killed the print job due to jobs backing up in the queue) that took less
than a minute on my home system (386+387) with GoScript. If you're
interested in seeing the file, send me e-mail; it's less than 2K of
straight PostScript commands with no bitmap imaging at all (repeated
outlined text with scaling, offsets, and rotation is all it does).

From my observations comparing my home system running GoScript with the
Laserwriters at work, running straight text output there isn't a lot of
speed difference (remember, I have a 'fast 386+387'); however, as soon as a
significant amount of graphics get added, my home system will blow away the
Laserwriter. Why Apple didn't include a floating point processor in their
printer is a mystery.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "The Crystal Wind is the
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | Storm, and the Storm is Data,
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | and the Data is Life."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | -- _Emerald Eyes_, D.K. Moran