[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sony 1302/1303 Autosizing

donm@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Don Montgomery) (03/23/90)

Is anyone interested in the Sony 1302/1303 Autosizing modifications? I've
done it to mine with excellent results. You will need (1) factory service
manual (2) ability to read same and (3) like to sling solder.

I'll post it to the net if I get enough inquiries, otherwise e-mail.

				  Don Montgomery, K6LTS
				  donm@hpnmdla.HP.COM

ghost@cup.portal.com (Robert Bruce Ferrell) (03/25/90)

Yes, please do post; or if you dont please e-mail the procedure
to me, but I'm sure we'd all be interested.

ghost@cup.portal.com     or     bferrell@mcimail.com
               Yes, I AM unique... so far

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (03/25/90)

I have the CPD-1303 ... what do these modifications entail?  What ARE the
modifications?  (eg, why should I go thrashing around inside my monitor?)
I don't recall any postings about this; so if you have yet to post what the
benefits are, could you do it in comp.sys.ibm.pc?  If you have posted and
I just missed it, I would appreciate a private response.

Thanks!

Eric W. Lund *DISCLAIMER "Disclaimers are for weak people."* Prodigy: xcbr22b
UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund *COWS FOR RENT* ProLine: elund@pro-graphics
Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com ** ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil

donm@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Don Montgomery) (03/30/90)

please look for Luong's note entitled "SONY 130[2/3] autosizing why & how",
dated 3-25-90.  He has posted the modification instructions along with some of
his own hints to make things easy.  I didn't realize how popular this monitor
was until my mailbox was stuffed with requests for the modification. The notes
also has some hints on how to set up the CRT geometry corrections such as pin-
cushioning and keystoning that were seen in some of the earlier off-the-shelf
1302/1303 monitors.

One last hint: make sure your VGA cable has pins 4 and 11 grounded (commoned
with pin 5) in order to make the autosense work. (Tnx to Gil Syswerda on a pre-
vious note)

My VGA cable is configured as follows:

         Male       Male      15 pin end
     15 pin end   9 pin end   signal name

	  1          3         red video
	  2          4         green video
	  3          5         blue video
          4------:             monitor ID bit 2
	  5------:             ground
	  6---:  :   1         red return (ground)
	  7---:  :   2*        green return (ground)
	  8---:  :   6*        blue return (ground)
	  9   :  :             key (blank, no pin)
	  10--:  :   7*        sync return (ground)
	  11-----:             monitor ID bit 0
	  12                   monitor ID bit 1
	  13         8         horizontal sync
	  14         9         vertical sync
	  15                   reserved

                      * These pins can be left
			unconnected at 9 pin end

I also connected a line from pins 6,7,8 and 10 to the shell at the 15 pin male
end and from pin 1 to the shell at the 9 pin end.

If you "roll-your-own" cable, you may have to break off pin 9 on the 15 pin
male cable end connector as many VGA cards do not have this pin on the corres-
ponding female connector.

The usual disclaimer applies. Anything you do, you do so at your own risk...

			       Don Montgomery, K6LTS
			       donm@hpnmdla.HP.COM