[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to get access to Internet?

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (03/29/90)

This is clearly totally the wrong group for this question, but I
have no idea where it really belongs. I apologize in advance.

I am wondering how a company arranges for a link into the Internet
system. For example, I can send e-mail to people at TANDEM, APPLE
etc by sending to USER@tandem.com etc. Can any company with some
internal network/mail system arrange to have access to some gateway,
and if so, how?

I apologize again for misposting this question - I do usually get
it right.

Thanks for any information

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (03/30/90)

As much as I understand it, you need some way of connecting to a university site
which has access to Internet.  This usually involves a digtial data link or a
T1 line leased point to point from the phone company.  I believe MCI mail and
Compuserve have mail gateways to Internet.

                                                Brent H. Besler

mee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Kevin Kahl) (03/30/90)

In article <502@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>As much as I understand it, you need some way of connecting to a university site
>which has access to Internet.  This usually involves a digtial data link or a
>T1 line leased point to point from the phone company.  I believe MCI mail and
>Compuserve have mail gateways to Internet.
>
>                                                Brent H. Besler

So then, what you are saying is, that in your understanding, the Internet
is basically driven by university sites?  Worldwide?  I would be interested
in a general explanation of what the Internet PHYSICALLY is...

How does it work and why?  I know these are very general questions, but this
system SEEMS to be so incredibly huge that it is mind-boggling.

Any comments?

Kevin Kahl
mee@ucscb.ucsc.edu