[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Video power-up problem

kellogg@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Gary-No relation to Tony the Tiger-Kellogg) (03/30/90)

I have a Gateway 2000 system with the following:

		Micronics 386-25Mhz cache
		Phoenix bios
		ATI VGA Wonder board (512K)
		NEC 3D Monitor

My computer and monitor are connected to a surge suppressor.
Each plug on the surge suppressor is switchable, plus there
is a master switch.  My computer and monitor are in the "on"
position and I use the surge suppressor as the power switch.

When I use the master switch to turn on my system the video
consistently comes up in EGA mode.  Only when I cycle power
will it then come up in VGA mode.

When I individually turn on my computer followed by my
monitor the video consistently comes up in VGA mode.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?, Is this
normal operation?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Gary Kellogg
kellogg@Skipper.DFRF.NASA.Gov

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/30/90)

In article <466@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> kellogg@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Tony the Tiger) writes:
>		ATI VGA Wonder board (512K)
>		NEC 3D Monitor

>When I use the master switch to turn on my system the video
>consistently comes up in EGA mode.

>When I individually turn on my computer followed by my
>monitor the video consistently comes up in VGA mode.

>Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?, Is this
>normal operation?

The ATI VGA Wonder card has automatic monitor sensing, and the instructions
say that the monitor MUST be turned on first (i.e. at the same time or before)
in order for the card to properly sense the monitor.  In your case, the
card is sensing an "EGA" monitor when the monitor is on first.

What this tells me is that the monitor is giving the wrong info to the ATI
card.  I don't have a 3D (mine is an original Multisync...), so I can't check,
but you should check your manuals, or else try experimenting with any settings
on the monitor.

Another possibility is that either the monitor cable is miswired or some pin(s)
aren't making contact.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching