[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Setting up a mouse?

gregj@microsoft.UUCP (Greg JONES) (04/07/90)

In article <90093.210548MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu>, MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:
> I am trying to set up a Microsoft mouse bus version in my computer. The problem
> is selecting the proper inturrupt. Which one should I select? I have 2 com
> ports, and need them. That leaves out irq3 and 4. I have a vga monitor, fixed
> drive, and it is an AT. that leaves out irq2 and 5. If I select irq 3 or 4,
> which shares the com ports, the com ports will not work. I have not tried irq 2
> or 5 yet for fear that my vga board or my hard drive would burp.

Most applications that use COM ports understand interrupt sharing and
are capable of filtering out extraneous interrupts at the same level
from a different device.  The mouse driver should also be capable of
ignoring stuff from the COM port.  So choosing 3 or 4 will probably
work.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest 5.  On my system at home my V-RAM VGA
wouldn't work with the mouse on interrupt 2;  perhaps display hardware
is more finicky about interrupts than disk controllers are...

Happy mousing.

uunet!microsoft!gregj
[MS network development]