[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386SX/386 Systems

jfm@cs.odu.edu (John F. Mclaurin) (04/08/90)

>In article <2796@sactoh0.UUCP> mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>>In my continuing search for a 386 system, I would like some net
>>comment on the following companies:
>>Zeos
>>Austin
>>CompuAdd
>>Swan
Our office recently purchased a Compuadd 316s a couple of weeks ago, and the
first one we had was really hosed.  The system wouldn't start up and the
keyboard was acting really funny.  It took them a week (not all in the shop) to
figure out that they couldn't find the problem, and about another week to get
around to telling me that a replacement had come in.  I had to call them and
remind them.  The system would only start up intermittantly.  I was the only
one who could start it when it got into one of these moods.  I found out by
accident if I leaned on one side of the case I could start it up.  We have also
managed to go through 3 keyboards and I just managed Fri to determine that the
problem is in the Expanded/Enhanced features of the system.  Shadow RAM for
video, system, and disk.  I haven't the time to play with it and find out which
one is the culprit, but if they aren't active it is ok.  I would only reccomend
a Compuadd 316s if you are a business user and are within 5 minutes of a Super-
Store like me.  It is so funny now the salespeople know my phone numbers by
heart, and start to reach for the phone to call Jim the service tech.
john.
--

John F. McLaurin      jfm@xanth.cs.odu.edu     Acquisition Planning Corporation