[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC networking advice needed

toml@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Locke) (04/04/90)

Hi netters,

I am relatively new to the PCs networking. My friend is looking for a way
to connect his computers via a network. Could any one tell me what kind
of soft-/hard-ware available out there? I have heard of Invisible network
(or something like that). Are they good?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tom Locke

--
Tom Locke                                (206) 234-6316 (wk)
Boeing Computer Services    ....uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!toml

mguyott@imposter.samsung.com (Marc Guyott) (04/09/90)

In article <737@voodoo.UUCP> toml@voodoo.UUCP writes:
>I am relatively new to the PCs networking. My friend is looking for a way
>to connect his computers via a network. Could any one tell me what kind
>of soft-/hard-ware available out there? I have heard of Invisible network
>(or something like that). Are they good?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated!

Here's some advice, take it for what it's worth!  8-)

The big issue is the price/performance trade off.

The basic hardware that I would recommend would be 3Com's 3C503
(Etherlink II) boards with thin ethernet.  The thin ethernet will use the
onboard transcievers on the 3C503s and will connect via the BNC connector.

If you use thick ethernet then you will have to be concerned with external
transcievers (I think?).  I believe that thick ethernet is also more expensive.
I do not know if there is a performance benefit for using thick ethernet.  We
are using thin ethernet and we do not have any performance problems due to
the thin ethernet.

You could use any other manufacturers ethernet boards but I recommend the
3Com boards because they are one of the main ethernet board manufacturers and
almost all of the software that is available supports these boards.  All of
the ethernet boards that I know of have connectors for both thin (BNC) and
thick (DIX) ethernet cables.  I do not recommend the 3C505s because they are
newer (hence not as widely supported) and they are more expensive.  My limited
experience is that the increased performance of the 3C505 (Etherlink Plus) is
not noticable for normal workstations on a network.  The 3C505 may be
worthwhile for your file server though and as long as you stay with main
stream networking software (like Novell, 3Com, or Banyan) you will find that
the software will support the 505.

Another possibility is to use an IBM token ring network.  I do not understand
too much about the IBM token ring so I can't say too much.  Perhaps someone
else could talk about using an IBM token ring?  I believe that it still runs
on thin or thick ethernet but I think you have to buy token ring cards to
support the network.  This may also be a server-less network but I'm not
really sure.  I believe that the IBM token ring network would be your cheapest
solution.  In order to run Novells network (and I believe 3Coms and Banyans
networks are the same) you have to have a dedicated file server running the
network operating system somewhere on the network.

The last thing that you need is the network software.  I have setup and used a
Novell Advanced Netware network and I was very happy with the administration
and performance of the network.  The actual setup is somewhat difficult though
so you may want to purchase the software through a vendor who will set the
network operating system up for you on your server.  I would be very
interested in hearing about your experiences once you have the new network
installed and working.  Please consider posting (or emailing to me if you
feel there is not a general interest) the results of your efforts.  I hope
this helps.

                                                           Marc
----
Two of the worst things we teach our children are that a knowledge of science
is nice but not necessary, and a knowledge of sex is necessary but not nice.

Marc Guyott	   Samsung Software America, Inc.    mguyott@samsung.com
(508) 685-7200	   Andover, Mass. 01810-2442 USA     ...!uunet!samsung!mguyott