[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zmodem for 7-bit paths wanted

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/21/90)

	Could someone tell me where I can find a Zmodem that
is capable of supporting 7-bit paths?

Thanks,
Bobby Li
Internet E-mail me at TT3X@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (04/09/90)

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:

>>Fortunately, Zmodem is smart enough to detect and automatically switch to
>>7-bit mode, although sometimes it needs help with the -e or -E option.
>>This is available in the ZCOMM comm package, DSZ external protocol, and the
>>rzsz.zoo that is made for BSD/SYSV UNIX.

>Which version of rzsz.zoo would this be, then?  The latest version I am
>aware of is rzsz0525.zoo, which most definitely does not support 7-bit
>paths.  I'd like to find a Zmodem-90 package for the local UNIX box, but I
>don't think one exists.

The version on our system is '1.44', whatever the date works out as.  When
I transfer files, my ZCOMM detects the 7-bit path, and tells the other end
to switch to 7-bit mode.  In extreme cases, the -e option on either end will
force the transfer to take place as if the line were 7-bit (I know, the
throughput slows from 230cps to 180cps at 2400 baud!).  I am using the
latest ZCOMM (March 90).

Ed Williams

ewilliam@blackbird.afit.af.mil

) (04/09/90)

In article <1563@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) writes:
> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>
>>>Fortunately, Zmodem is smart enough to detect and automatically switch to
>>>7-bit mode, although sometimes it needs help with the -e or -E option.
>>>This is available in the ZCOMM comm package, DSZ external protocol, and the
>>>rzsz.zoo that is made for BSD/SYSV UNIX.
>
>>Which version of rzsz.zoo would this be, then?  The latest version I am
>>aware of is rzsz0525.zoo, which most definitely does not support 7-bit
>>paths.  I'd like to find a Zmodem-90 package for the local UNIX box, but I
>>don't think one exists.
>
> The version on our system is '1.44', whatever the date works out as.  When
> I transfer files, my ZCOMM detects the 7-bit path, and tells the other end
> to switch to 7-bit mode.  In extreme cases, the -e option on either end will
> force the transfer to take place as if the line were 7-bit (I know, the
> throughput slows from 230cps to 180cps at 2400 baud!).  I am using the
> latest ZCOMM (March 90).
>
> Ed Williams
>
> ewilliam@blackbird.afit.af.mil
I just received my registered version of DSZ.  The disk includes an .EXE version
of DSZ which allows tranfers over 7-bit paths.

 Santanu Sircar                                BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet
 University of Massachusetts/Amherst           INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu
 "A pig ate his fill of acorns under an oak tree and then started to root
   around the tree.  A crow remarked, `You should not do this.  If you lay bare
   the roots, the tree will wither and die.' `Let it die,' said the pig.  `Who
   cares so long as there are acorns?'"		-Anonymous