[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC BRAND Mail Order experience

kt4@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Thompson) (04/02/90)

I had a good experience with PC Brands. I ordered a 386 25 Mhz system
without a monitor with 4 megabytes of memory. They quoted two weeks delivery
and it was delivered as ordered in just under two weeks and works fine.

				Ken

--
Ken Thompson  GTRI, Ga. Tech, Atlanta Ga. 30332 Internet:!kt4@prism.gatech.edu
uucp:...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!kt4

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (04/05/90)

In article <4041@nmtsun.nmt.edu> nigel@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Nigel Sharples) writes:
[deleted story of multiple interactions with dealer over floppy drives]
>   I went through two boxes of high density disks - Sony and TDK. Out of
>   these 20 disks, only 4 managed to format without bad sectors.  Most
>   had around 9k of bad sectors.  The bad sectors always occur at about
>   the same location on the disk, you can hear the drive marking off the
>   sectors when it's about 95% - 99% complete.  Sure sounds like a floppy
>   drive problem, right?  But each drive had exactly the same symptoms!!
>   So is the problem more likely to be the controller?  I tried these
>   same disks in a different machine, they formatted just fine.
>
>Based on this experience, I would recommend that everyone stay well away
>from PC Brand.

It's too bad that these kinds of experiences are so common.

The problem you describe almost certainly was not due to any hardware
or software failures at all, but rather to incorrect configuration of
the floppy drive.  The floppy drive is not sensing the high density
hole on the diskettes, and the software is trying to format the
diskettes for 1.44 meg, when electrically the drive is set for double
density 720k diskettes.  There is a jumper on most 3.5" drives which
determines whether the drive senses the diskette type or not, and most
likely in each case the drive was set wrong.  Maybe the guys at PC-
Brand are testing with 720k dikettes, and are not noticing the
problem...or maybe they are not testing at all...

Anyway, the problem could have been resolved without having to send the
system back and forth, if only the right information had been provided at
the right time.

In general it is better not to ask your dealer for support.  Just bring
them into the picture when what they sold you is beyond hope, when you
need to get them to replace it.  Save youself the grief and just find a
helpful PC guru over the net to tell you what to do :^)
--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

gregj@microsoft.UUCP (Greg JONES) (04/07/90)

In article <FISH.90Apr1135345@his.gemed.com>, fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) writes:

> If anybody out there has had a positive experience with these guys,
> please post it.  It might help restore my faith in them.  PC BRAND
> advertises heavliy in BYTE and PC Magazine.  I have not heard any
> thing about these guys on the net.

About six weeks ago I ordered a 386/33 from them.  It took about 4 weeks
to arrive instead of the 2 they said, but they claim that's because the
hard drive was backordered (supposedly Miniscribe went bankrupt, so they
switched from a 110MB Miniscribe to a 200MB Conner drive).  Curiously
enough, the Conner drive was actually cheaper.  They did charge my credit
card twice, which spawned a threatening letter from the bank before they
managed to cancel the duplicate.

I've had no problems with the system -- everything arrived together, all
the components I ordered, etc.  Extra hardware (mouse, Video 7 V-RAM VGA)
were preinstalled and worked fine.  OS/2 1.2 and HPFS haul ass.  The manuals
are in somewhat broken English, obviously translated, but readable.

I suppose we need to wait for a few more people to respond before we know
whether you were unlucky or I was lucky.

uunet!microsoft!gregj

dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David R. Sewell) (04/08/90)

Where there's this much smoke there must be fire (not just flames...).
My experience:
   Last summer I ordered the PC-Brand 386SX that was for a couple months
being advertised in PC Magazine as a 386SX-20.  I was naive enough to
assume that the 20Mhz rating was legit.  The computer arrived with the
wrong case style & wrong floppy drive size.  I shipped it back at their
expense (they sent a credit check for UPS fees); the machine I had
ordered came back in a reasonable time.
   But of course it wasn't the machine I'd ordered.  By then I had read
in the computer mags that 20Mhz SX chips hadn't shipped yet.  I ran
Norton SI, which showed a speed rating corresponding to a 16Mhz
machine, which is what it obviously was.  I phoned customer service &
told them this; response, "Oh, your sales representative must have told
you that there was a mistake and we were only shipping the 16Mhz
machine.  They told everybody."  Well, no, I insisted, I hadn't been
told.  After conferring with my sales rep she came back and offered me a
$295 refund on what I had paid, which I accepted since the system was
doing what I wanted it to do & I couldn't bear the thought of shipping
the whole $!%#@! thing back again.  After about two months and a couple
more phone calls to Customer Service the $295 credit finally showed up
on my VISA statement.
   Now I should have been less naive about clock speeds before ordering,
but we're not all computer pros.  I have wondered since if there aren't
people out there who ordered what they thought was a 20Mhz machine &
never learned that it wasn't.
   The cumulative force of all these stories is upsetting.  Would it be
worth making a copy of this whole thread and mailing it to, say, PC
Magazine's Advertising Manager?  (I'd be willing to do so, but wouldn't
want to if any of the contributors had objections.)
--
David R. Sewell          || Internet: dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
English Department       || UUCP:     rutgers!rochester!ur-cc!dsew

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (04/09/90)

>Item: 10149 by fish at gemed.com (9 responses)
>  Subj: PC BRAND Mail Order experience
>I ordered a 386 20 Mhz 4meg with a 120 mb RLL drive from PC BRAND in
>Chicago IL on thursday March 15. ....
>If anybody out there has had a positive experience with these guys,
>please post it.  It might help restore my faith in them.  PC BRAND
>advertises heavliy in BYTE and PC Magazine.  I have not heard any
>thing about these guys on the net.
>// Mark M. Fisher
>// fish@gemed.ge.com
>// {uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbrew}!gemed!fish

  Was it PC BRAND (or was it under a different name) that went through
Chapter 11 a year or 2 ago because of problems like everyone has been
telling? I also though they had problems with billing before shipping, and
other nasty things like that.
  If not, I believe it was some Chicago company that used a sort of 'club'
type system, where they prices listed were for cash if your were a 'club'
member, otherwise you typically had to pay 8% or more extra.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (04/09/90)

In article <261fa5d8-27a5.10comp.ibmpc-1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) writes:
}  Was it PC BRAND (or was it under a different name) that went through
}Chapter 11 a year or 2 ago because of problems like everyone has been
}telling? I also though they had problems with billing before shipping, and
}other nasty things like that.
}  If not, I believe it was some Chicago company that used a sort of 'club'
}type system, where they prices listed were for cash if your were a 'club'
}member, otherwise you typically had to pay 8% or more extra.

That was PC Network, and the prices listed were "wholesale" and members
paid 8% above that.  By the time you added the 8% margin, the price was
frequently more than other places were charging.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (04/09/90)

No, that was PC Network that was reorganized.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@uncecs.edu           919 286 0411