[comp.sys.ibm.pc] uupc

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (08/24/87)

In article <4228@ncoast.UUCP>, swi@cs.paisley.ac.uk.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:

> We have 20 pc's in the department and 2 3b2's and a 3b5. The 3bx's talk
> to each other using uucp.

> So the ob. thing to do is to get uucp going on the ibm's. Problem, we onlky
> have lattice C, and it no want to work, if you know what i mean. To save
> us spending a disgusting ammount of money on ANOTHER compiler, could a
> very kind person who has compiled & installed UUPC on an IBM/Clone, uuencode
> up the binries and send them to me.

Help is on the way!

Due to high demand, we have sent off IBM PC Binaries for uupc to Brandon
Allbery to be posted to comp.binaries.ibm.

If the same demand is there we will look at Amiga and Atari as well.

We're still looking for someone to port the Mac stuff to a non-Aztec
environment. It wouldn't make sense to post the current Mac binaries because
you wouldn't be able to run them without the Aztec Shell, and you don't get
that without the Aztec compiler, and if you have the Aztec compiler you
don't need the binaries....

We'll keep you posted.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (08/25/87)

From: wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter)

Actually, if you just change the file type to APPL it should run without
the shell.
  Pierce Wette

Resisting temptation is easier when you think you'll probably get
another chance later on.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (08/26/87)

I just recieved UUPC from the binary newsgroup, but there'se not one word
about how to use it.  Could somebody post or mail me a brief summary of it's
usage (uu.exe and mail.exe).

Thanks,

dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

hoff@hp-sdd.UUCP (08/27/87)

Anyone out there got uupc to work?  I think I have all of it (sources and
executables) but not being a uucp guru, I am hesitant to get too involved.
How about it netters, any good advice?

     Tom Hoff (...!hplabs!hp-sdd!hoff)
	"Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer not a spokesman!"

rickers@drexel.Drexel.edu (Rick Wargo) (08/29/87)

>I just recieved UUPC from the binary newsgroup, but there'se not one word
>about how to use it.  Could somebody post or mail me a brief summary of it's
>usage (uu.exe and mail.exe).

Me too!!!

						Rickers
						..!drrok

zentrale@rmi.UUCP (08/29/87)

In article <130@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
: I just recieved UUPC from the binary newsgroup, but there'se not one word
: about how to use it.  Could somebody post or mail me a brief summary of it's
: usage (uu.exe and mail.exe).
:
: Thanks,
:
: dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

Nevertheless it works good in creating applicable subdirectories..

Same question as above applies to me....

Rupert

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (09/02/87)

As quoted from <696@rmi.UUCP> by zentrale@rmi.UUCP (RMI Net):
+---------------
| In article <130@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
| : I just recieved UUPC from the binary newsgroup, but there'se not one word
| : about how to use it.  Could somebody post or mail me a brief summary of it's
| : usage (uu.exe and mail.exe).
|
| Same question as above applies to me....
+---------------

Included below is the README.UUPC that came with the sources.  They are
available from comp.sources.misc archive sites, and exist for Amiga, Atari
ST, MS-DOS, and Macintosh.

This document describes all necessary files and how to use it; it also
contains stuff that's interesting only if you have the source.

---------------- 8< ----------------------------------- 8< -------------------
July 29/87						Stuart Lynne

UUPC is now running on Macintosh, Atari-ST, Amiga, and IBM-PC with MS-DOS.

These versions will constitute my first release of uupc and pcmail. Please
see the README files in each shar file for appropriate instructions.

As is, uupc sends and receives files quite well. Still unimplemented is
the reverse direction file transfers, i.e. send a file to a remote host
while in slave mode, receive a file while in master mode. These are not
needed to support news and mail. A proper uucp command is need too.

The user agent mail program is a very simple hack to simply allow you to
read and send mail. Hopefully someone will work on replacing this!

The message transfer agent pcmail program is fairly robust. It does need to
have some more intelligence to allow for more intelligent routing of outgoing
mail. Currently ALL outgoing mail is forward to a single remote site for
processing. This will actually handle the needs of a large number of users
but for those lucky ones who can actually get access to several large uucp
sites better routine would be nice.

Other things which are needed:

	news unbatcher
	news reader

Currently the news is simply spooled to a directory with a unique file name.
You can read this with a normal text editor. If you wish to have outgoing mail
the easiest way is to have your news feed set up alias's like:

	comp.sys.amiga "| /usr/local/lib/news/recnews comp.sys.amiga"

Then simply mail your article to:

	comp.sys.amiga@newsfeedhost.uucp

Please feel free to port this code to other environments. I ask only that you
try and limit changes to the machine independent code. Things have been setup
so that you shouldn't have to modify dcp, uupc, mail or pcmail if you are simply
porting to a new environment.

Please send me any new versions, diff's to get old versions working better,
bug fixes etc.

Have fun and enjoy.

I would suggest that questions and comments about uupc/dcp/mail be directed
to comp.mail.uucp on Usenet. This group is about "Mail in the uucp network
environment." which describes uupc pretty well.

Questions, bug fixes etc

uupc, mac version, information

	Stuart Lynne
	stuart.lynne@van-bc.uucp
	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne  604-937-7532

Amiga version

	Jeff Lydiatt
	jl@jlami.vnet.van-bc.uucp
	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!jlami!jl

Atari ST version

	Lawrence Harris
	lawrence@nvanbc.uucp
	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!nvanbc!lawrence

IBM PC - MS-DOS version

	Samuel Lam
	skl@sklpc.vnet.van-bc.uucp
	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!skl

uupc mailing list

	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!nvanbc!uupc
	{{seismo,ihnp4!alberta}!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!nvanbc!uupc-request

NB. Rurrently UUNET is only polled twice per week, you may wish to send
any messages via both paths to ensure delivery. UUNET is probably more
reliable, ubc-vision may be faster if you can reach them from your site.

uupc 			June 8, 1987		Stuart Lynne

For Beta implementors only.

uupc incorporates a streamlined version of dcp to implement a uucp mail
and news delivery system.

See README.DCP for dcp info.

By moving the host dependant code into one file the other four dcp files can
hopefully be maintained easily. It should be possible to maintain one version
of them which compiles and runs on all machines without conditional compilation
flags.

The host file should contain:

	- serial I/O
	- BSD compatible directory routines
	- system call stuff

This all goes to implement a command called uupc. It is similiar to the uucico
command under unix.

	uupc [-xn] [-shost]

There is also two mail source files. Pcmail is the MTA part of the mail system.
It compiles in two ways, one for rmail (add only From and Received: headers),
define a simple rnews; and for lmail (add all headers). Pcmail will effect
delivery of mail to local and remote users. Currently all remote mail is
directed to one smart host for forwarding.

Mail is a simple UA. It allows you to send mail and read your mailbox. It needs
lots of work but is servicable.

	mail -s "subject here" user user@remote.site.domain < message

	mail -f =mailbox

	mail

will all do the obvious. Mail will append a .signature if it can find one, and
will keep a copy of your outgoing mail in =mail.sent.

ToDo:

	uucp command
	mail improvements
	bug fixes to uupc/dcp
	ports to Atari, Amiga, IBM PC, VMS

Makefile	- sample Makefile (Macintosh Aztec C)
getargs.c 	- library routine
lmail.c 	- define LMAIL; include pcmail
mail.c  	- mail program (UA)
pcmail.c 	- mail program (MTA)
rmail.c 	- define RMAIL; include pcmail
lib.c		- misc library routines, FOPEN, CREAT, getargs, printmsg

host.h 		- prototype for host.c, includes "local/host.h"
mailhost.c 	- ditto for mailhost.c, includes "local/host.c"
mlib.c 		- ditto for mlib.c, 	includes "local/mlib.c"
ulib.c 		- ditto for ulib.c, 	includes "local/ulib.c"
uuhost.c 	- ditto for uuhost.c, 	includes "local/host.c"

pcmail in general
Pcmail provides MTA functionality. It delivers the mail. Currently it is
very dumb about forwarding mail. Local deliveries always succeed if there
is room and the mail spooling directory exists. No "/etc/passwd" file list
of users is used to determine if there really is a mailbox for an incoming
message. Also outgoing mail is assumed to go to one smart host for
processing. This is determined by scanning for "!" or "@" in the address.

Both local and remote delivery algorithms could be souped up. Locally we
should maintain a list of mailboxes. For remote we should attempt to build
a path to the most reasonable host for forwarding a specific message. This
will require a small version of the paths database most likely. If your
only talking to one host anyway the current scheme is not all that bad.

Pcmail has one additional capability which is not currently being exploited.
It can add additional message length header lines and spool mail into a
mailbag. This mailbag could then be sent intact to your host for processing.
The host must run rpcmail (availble from sl@van-bc.uucp) to unbatch the
messages to rmail. This corresponds to the AT&T Mail protocol for uploading
mail from PC's.

Most likely the converse capability would be more suitable. Have the host
batch incoming mail and news. Unbatch it on this side.

pcmail / LMAiL
The mail UA is composed of the mail.c program and pcmail.c compiled without
defining RMAIL (LMAIL). The LMAIL version of pcmail adds rfc822 headers
to all mail, copies mail to =mail.sent etc.

pcmail / RMAIL
The uu program contains the RMAIL version of pcmail. It only adds the From

For more information, bug fixes, more commands etc:

		Stuart.Lynne@van-bc.uucp
		604-937-7532

Directory tree

/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/uucp
/usr/lib/uucp/SEQF			- sequence numbers
/usr/lib/uucp/systems		- host connection information
/usr/spool
/usr/spool/mail				- mail directory
/usr/spool/mail/XXXX		- user mail files
/usr/spool/rnews			- rnews spool/file
/usr/spool/uucp				- spool directory
/usr/spool/uucp/C.YYYYYNNNN	- copy control files
/usr/spool/uucp/D.YYYYYNNNN	- uucp data files
/usr/spool/uucp/dcp.log		- log file
/usr/spool/uucp/X.YYYYYNNNN	- execute control files
/usr/XXXX					- user directories
/usr/XXXX/.signature		- signature file
/usr/XXXX/Mail				- user mail directory
/usr/XXXX/Mail/mail.sent	- sent file
/tmp						- temporary files

Systems File

NB. I have split the lines, in the real file they should be one line for
each entry.

This entry uses the built in Hayes dialer.

van-bc Any a HAYES TD939-4782 g ogin:--ogin: uuslmac sword:-\c-sword: uuslmac

	Connect to van-bc using HAYES dialer with phone number 939-4782 with
	protocol g.
	Wait for ogin: if timeout send \n and wait for ogin:.
	Send uuslmac (login ID).
	Wait for sword:, if timeout send nothing, wait for sword:
	Send uuslamc (login ID).

I use this entry to connect via a DC Hayes Smartmodem 2400, dialing explicity.

van-bc Any a DIR 2400 g "" ATZ OK-\d+++\dATZ-OK ATS7=12 OK ATTD939-4782
	CONNECT \d\c ogin:--ogin: uuslmac sword:-\c-sword: uuslmac

	Connect to van-bc at 2400 on port a with protocol g.
	Expect nothing, send ATZ to reset the modem,
	Expect OK, if not received send pause +++ pause to try and get
	modems attention and wait for OK.
	When OK received, send ATS7=12 to shorten connect timeout on modem.
	Expect OK, send ATTD939-74782.
	Expect CONNECT, send nothing but pause (\c is needed).
	Expect ogin:, if not received send newline.
	Send login name.
	Expect sword:, send password.

This entry is used to connect directly to my Callan at 9600. It is
complicated due to the Callan running a special mgetty program which
thinks it is talking to a Hayes Smartmodem. So we fake it out, then
tell it the connection has been made at 9600, then switch to 9600
ourselves.

van-bc Any a DIR 2400 g "" OK\r\d\dRING\r\dCONNECT\s9600\d\z9600\
	ogin:-\r\r-ogin: uuslmac sword:-\c-sword: uuslmac "" \d\d\d\d\d\d\c

	Connect to van-bc at 2400 on port a.
	Expect nothing, send OK, pause, RING, CONNECT, 9600,
	and change to 9600 bps.
	Expect ogin: send login id.
	Expect sword: send password.

--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

hoff@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Tom Hoff) (09/08/87)

O.k., I finally got uupc to compile (using msc with the make from Turbo C) and
it's up and running.  Now for the fun stuff.  I would like to modify it so it
runs in the background as a tsr.  I've written tsr programs in Turbo C, so I've
already gained some ground.  What I really need is a good context switching
mechanism that not only switches stacks, but also tells dos which file
descriptors to use for each respective process, and any other gotcha's that I
haven't thought of yet.

I know that there has to be someone out there in netland that has gone through
this before.  So, could you please email me suggestions, sources, tips, etc?
Of course I'll post a summary and any worthwhile modifications to the uupc
sources.

--Tom

--
     Tom Hoff (...!hplabs!hp-sdd!hoff)
	"Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer not a spokesman!"

farber@udel.UUCP (10/30/87)

Anyone out there willing to send me source and executables for
UUPC (the DOS PD UUCP system). I would greatly appreciate it.
I can FTP.

Dave
David J. Farber
University of Delaware
Dept of EE Newark De 19716

Office: 302-451-1163;
Arpanet/CSNet: farber@udel.edu

sl@van-bc.UUCP (10/31/87)

In article <646@louie.udel.EDU> farber@udel.EDU (Dave Farber) writes:

>Anyone out there willing to send me source and executables for
>UUPC (the DOS PD UUCP system). I would greatly appreciate it.
>I can FTP.

UUPC is available from here with anonymous uucp login:

	Phone:	604-939-4756	Trailblazer @ 9600, PEP/UUCP spoof enabled
			604-939-4756	2400/1200

	Login:	nuucp
	Passwd:	nuucp

The files are in ~/uupc/*.

An index is available  as ~/uupc/INDEX.

	total 421
	-rw-rw-r-- 2 sl            0 Sep  2 10:04 index
	-rw-rw-r-- 2 sl            0 Sep  2 10:04 INDEX
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        57889 Aug 22 20:00 uupc.dos.bin.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        24550 Aug 12 11:46 uupc.ami.8.6.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        22385 Aug 12 11:45 uupc.dcp.8.3.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        26615 Aug 12 11:45 uupc.dos.8.7.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        10358 Aug 12 11:44 uupc.mac.8.4.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        15846 Aug 12 11:43 uupc.mcl.8.8.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        14757 Aug 12 11:42 uupc.uu.8.2.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        16185 Aug 12 11:41 uupc.inf.8.1.Z
	-rw-rw-r-- 1 sl        25338 Aug 12 11:41 uupc.st.8.5.Z

UUPC is also available from UUNET:

uunet.uu.net:~ftp/uupc/*

Contact rick@uunet.uu.net for specific instructions on ftp'ing from there.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

horne@tobor.cs.utexas.edu (Patrick J. Horne) (04/13/88)

I am looking for a package (PD?) that will allow an IBM PC or ps2/80 running
dos 3.3.  Does anyone know where to find such an animal? I understand that a
product called uupc is out there somewhere in the PD.

Thanks,
Pat

swinyard@byuvax.bitnet (04/15/88)

I have such a package on my BBS @ (801)226-1408 up to 2400bps. full acecss
first call.

               B. Swinyard

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (12/27/88)

In article <2516@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, bhv@ddsw1.UUCP (Bronis Vidugiris) wrote:

) I would like to see the direction of 'new' bbs's go not twoards the server
) client model so much as twoards a standard interchange format.  This means
) that the user could use his 'favorite' bbs system at home, with windows,
) mice, or whatever - and his favorite full screen local text editor -
) all offline.  Then, while online, messages to sent could be sent to the
) host system, and new messages (possibly with some 'standardized' approval
) system based on length, author, etc) could be downloaded.

Hey, that's a good idea.  As a matter of fact, that's also the vision
that started the UUPC efforts about two years ago.  (The only problem
we have with UUPC is the lack of time to work on it.)

) I don't have any real concrete proposals - except that if something based
) on the standard usenet news format (...) could be made to work, it might
) be the best bet.  Mainly because it is wide use already, and it seems to
) be pretty flexible (...).

That's part of what UUPC was trying to provide -- a reliable and automated
way to move spool files between Unix systems (the services hosts) and the
micros's (the user hosts).  Once the spool files containing news and mail
get to your end, all sort of local programs can then be used to process
them and deal with the material within.  (Future versions of UUPC will
concentrate on being a "transport" mechanism which applications on top of
it can use, and leave the job of providing these "applications", like mail
and news, to others who would like to work on them.)

) A 'server' approach might be nice to be able to do something in the foreground
) while stuff is downloading in the background.  However, if the download stuff
) can be automated - requiring no human intervention - (...), I think it would
> be both technically simpler, and better (...).
)
) This is especially true with phone rates going up and local call areas going
) down, (as is happening here in Chicago, at least).

Right on.  It also elminates the need for a second phone line just for the
computer, since most of the time when you are dealing with the news/mail
you wouldn't even be on line anyways.

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

hhg1@bunny.UUCP (Hallett German) (01/28/89)

Is this release self-installing or do you still have to compile and
link the files. What are the improvements in Release 2 and when will
it be on Compuserve?

Thanks Sam

Hal German

GTE LABS Waltham, Ma 617-466-2290

"Even first posters have a valid viewpoint"

ken@netcom.UUCP (Ken Wilson) (02/28/89)

Can some on help me get a copy of the executables and source code
for UUPC.  I have tried to down load them from van-bc with out any
luck.  Thanks in advance.

     Ken Wilson
     uunet!amdahl!dlb!netcom!ken

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/04/89)

From article <13@netcom.UUCP>, by ken@netcom.UUCP (Ken Wilson):

> Can some on help me get a copy of the executables and source code
> for UUPC.  I have tried to down load them from van-bc with out any
> luck.  Thanks in advance.
>
>      Ken Wilson
>      uunet!amdahl!dlb!netcom!ken

  I keep reading requests for UUCP, Zmodem, ARC, and PKXARC. All of which
I use in a UNIX and DOS enviorment running a bbs. The programs that I
use are PD and come with source. It all works quite well when running
a bbs. So hopefully some others can benifiet from about what I am going
to describe in my setup.

Two systems:

AT 10Mhz                                 XT 8Mhz
Xenix                                    DOS
XBBS Software for BBS                    Telix 3.11 to call into the
rzsz Software for Y and Z modem.         BBS via modem and hardwired.
kermit for kermit.                       UUPC for email to the xenix system.
newarc For ARC and PKARC files
KAQ9 Software for TCP/IP running slip    KAQ9 for TCP/IP running slip
Pcomm 1.2 A procomm clone for unix/xenix

 Telix has Zmodem built into it and the bbs supports zmodem. When I have
 to edit files on the Xenix system I use the vt100 terminal emulation.
 The only bug I noticed is when going into a insert mode it overwrites
 the exsisting characters. But reappear when you hit the esc key. I
 noticed when switch over to a ann arbor termcap you can switch the
 telix mode to 50 lines on a vga card and can edit useing vi. There
 is a few bugs with some sequences but eventually I'll work them out
 of the termcap.

 newarc -- Not actually a new arc just a hacked up version of arc to
	   support PKXARC squashed files. Alot of the dos bbs have
	   pkxarc files on them. I found no bugs with this.

 rzsz      Is Y/Z modem for unix. Should run under SYSV3.2 also.

 KAQ9      For the network. There is still bugs on the Xenix side.
	   I'm still working on this one.

 UUPC      alpha.arc For the turbo-c version and uupc_mc.arc for
	   MSC5.1 version. I have several local people who have
	   dos machines and send email to the unix machine.
	   It dosn't have uux built into it. If anyone has
	   made a modification to do replies I would like to
	   get a copy.

 XBBS      A pain to setup but it's written in C and it's fast.
	   Supports X/Y/Z kermit file transfers.

 Pcomm1.2  Has the look and feel of Procomm, I found alot of
	   little annoying bugs with this one but it
	   functions.

 Best of all this is its FREE. Except for the phone call. There are
 serval bbs that offer it as far as I know. Sandys in the L.A. area.
 714-898-8634. Howard Leadmons in M.D. 301-335-1955, killer down
 in Dallas don't have the number off hand. My bbs in the S.F., CA
 area 415-796-3686. I'm sure there is more.

 ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

rcj@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Robert Johnson) (03/06/89)

Could someone please point me in the right direction for locating the
newest binaries for the IBM of UUPC?  Unfortunetly I missed the recent
discussion of this, and know have a need to know.  It seems that
van-bc is defunct, so I have no way of locating Samual Lam who
wrote the PC version.

.signature

--
|  Robert C. Johnson                |  "Minds are like parachutes.       |
|   rcj@killer.dallas.tx.us         |   They only function when they are |

ccastgw@pyr.gatech.EDU (GREG WILLIAMS) (03/25/89)

Could someone please tell me where I can get the latest copy of
uupc?  Thanks.
--
"I don't have to be reasonable.  I'm a genius!"
ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu

egon@impch.UUCP (Lukas Knobloch) (04/06/89)

In article <7717@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastgw@pyr.gatech.edu.UUCP (GREG WILLIAMS) writes:
>Could someone please tell me where I can get the latest copy of
>uupc?  Thanks.
>--
I am also interrested on uupc.
My system Configuration is:
286 6Mhz contains 1 Mb Ram
and a 71 Mb HD

Is uupc availible for this configuration?

If so, from where can i get it??
Ftp??
Please E-Mail me

Thanks in advance
Lukas

--

      Lukas Schmidt P.O.Box 262 CH-4102 Binningen 1   voice +4161392659
                              mail:egon@impch

jm@psgdc (James Moore) (10/06/89)

I want to thank everyone who responeded to my questions concerning
where to get UUPC...I do now have it.

Here's the next one.  I have it set up on my pc, have a site set up
on my unix machine (all permissions etc working) but can't get the damn
thing to work...using the X9 debugger I see that the pc side doesn't seem to
be sending it's nodename and my unix machine says it "I don't know you" or
some such nonsense.  Now, does anyone have this thing working between pcs
or more importantly between a pc and unix box?  Let me show what I have so
maybe you can spot the problem......

On my unix machine......

nuucp is the login to bring up uucico

an entry in Systems looks like this.
LOGNAME=nuucp
MACHINE=pc REQUEST=yes SENDFILES=yes READ=/ WRITE=/ COMMANDS=ALL

On my pc the Systems file looks like this:

unixsys Any COM2 1200 g "" AT OK ATDT5551212 CONNECT \n\r ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: pc

It gets through the chat ok and gets to the point where my unix machinge says
Shere=unixsys

Any ideas?
Also, anyone who would like a copy of this programs send me a disk at my snail
mail address and I send it back to you with the arced file on it.  Please
include return postage.....I remember how hard it was for me to get it.

James Moore			CDI/PSG  Vienna, Virginia
...!uunet!psgdc!jm

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (10/07/89)

In article <250@psgdc>, jm@psgdc (James Moore) writes:

> an entry in Systems looks like this.
> LOGNAME=nuucp
> MACHINE=pc REQUEST=yes SENDFILES=yes READ=/ WRITE=/ COMMANDS=ALL

The above is not a "Systems" file entry, it is a "Permissions" file entry.
The Systems file entry should have the same format as the Systems file on your
pc.

> Any ideas?

move the above to your Permissions file and add the correct entry to your
Systems file.

dbmartin@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Martin) (02/08/90)

I am looking for any help on the UUPC program for the IBM PC.
The docs, or lack thereof, make it very difficult to install and
run this program.
I have the UUPC program and the MAIL progra.
I have also set up my directory chain.
However, I do not know the name or format of the file which
contains the systems and tel. #s to call.
An example of this, plus its location, would be most helpful.
Thanks.

don@dksfr.UUCP (don kossman) (02/11/90)

i'm looking for a current version of "uupc" for DOS.

i've got an old, (august 87) alpha version from stuart lynn, which is
apparently an adaptation of richard lamb's "dcp" code.  it
provides two programs, "mail" and "uu".  the former works
reasonably well, but the latter, which kinda emulates unix uucico
(but, this being dos, runs in the foreground) does not, at
least when i try to connect to a xenix or ultrix system.  just get lots
of checksum errors (uucp "g" protocol).

i know there are at least two commercial versions available, but
don't have several hundred $s to spend on this, plus would like
to have source to customize.

if you have source or know where it is please let me know;
i do not have direct ftp access to the internet or uunet
but may prevail upon neighbors who do.

please followup to comp.unix.xenix as my news feed does not include
comp.sys.ibm.pc- or send mail if you could mail me source.

thanks!

Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!jplgodo!seila!don OR sun!suntzu!seila!don
--

ahd@kendra.kew.com (02/16/90)

From article <288@dksfr.UUCP>, by don@dksfr.UUCP (don kossman):
> i'm looking for a current version of "uupc" for DOS.
>
> please followup to comp.unix.xenix as my news feed does not include
> comp.sys.ibm.pc- or send mail if you could mail me source.

Note:  This document was revised on 12 Febuary 1990.

The current release of UUPC/extended is available via:

        Anonymous Kermit server running on kendra, my home system.

        Anonymous FTP from clutx.clarkson.edu, directory pub/uupc.

Because kendra is the system I develop UUPC/extended on, the files
available from kendra's kermit server will always be the definitive
versions.  However, I have no intention of releasing an excessive number
of releases, so normally the FTPable version will be current.

SPECIAL NOTE:

Because of time and disk space restrictions, I do not mail copies of the
source or executables, provide custom .ARC or .ZIP files with only a
limited set of the files, or provide other distribution services--
please don't ask.  I do answer my mail, especially from other people who
have worked on UUPC, and I also at least acknowledge bug reports
(remember, I run this software too).

Kermit Instructions:

To retrieve UUPC/extended via Kermit, you will have to have a Kermit
which can issue the GET and FINISH commands to a Kermit server.  Set your
Kermit to:

        Its maximum packet size         (optional)
        3 byte checksum                 (optional)
        2 Windows                       (optional)
        1200 or 2400 baud
        No parity
        ^S/^Q flow control

Call 617-641-4817.  The best time to call is between 10 am and 5 pm
weekdays, and any night between midnight and 5 AM (All times are
Eastern).  Other times, the system CAN and WILL be down or busy for
extended periods of time.

After connect, press ENTER and kendra's "login:" prompt will appear.

        Enter the user id:      anonymous
        and press ENTER.

The "password:" prompt will appear.

        Enter the password:     ribbit
        and press ENTER.

Note:   Both the user id and password are case sensitive, and you
        cannot backspace when typing them in.  If you make an error then
        press ENTER until you get the "login:"  prompt again and start
        over.  The user id will not echo until you press ENTER, and the
        password will not echo at all.

A short hello message will appear, and then Kermit-MS will await your
command.  Escape to your local command mode, and then issue a GET for
one or more of the files listed above.  When done, issue the FINISH
command to shutdown the Kermit server.  DO NOT just hang up your
telephone, because then you will lock up kendra, which is not critical
but is unkind since now you know better.

About the files:

The files available via FTP and Kermit as:

                 name                   Description
           uupcsrc.arc     Source files for UUPC, PKPAK format
           uupcuser.arc    Run time (.EXE and .DOC files) only,
                           PKPAK format.
           uupcsrc.zip     Same as uupcsrc.arc, but in PKZIP format
           uupcuser.zip    Same as uupcuser.arc, but in PKZIP format.
           howtoget.it     This file.
           kermit.exe      The current release of IBM-PC Kermit-MS

Note:      Right now, actually only the .ZIP files are loaded to clutx.
           (So I lied.)

The UUPCSRC files include the source and the raw documents, the UUPCUSER
files includes the executables and formatted documents.  Both UUPCSRC
and UUPCUSER include the same sample files.

The UUPCSRC.ZIP file must be PKUNZIPed with the unpack directory option.
Because PKPAK does not support path names in files, the UUPCSRC.ARC file
includes two ARC files of its own, UUPCLCL.ARC and UUPCDOC.ARC; these
files should PKUNPAK'ed into the sub-directories LOCAL and DOC.

Kermit is the program I run to provide the Kermit server; the current
release (3.00) supports windows in file transfer, long (2000 bytes)
packets and VT-320 terminal emulation.  The manual for Kermit is
available via anonymous FTP from cunixc.cc.columbia.edu.  I don't have
space for it kendra.

Please direct all questions to help@kendra.kew.com.

Drew Derbyshire

bengsig@oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) (04/09/90)

I cannot get uupc version "UUPC/post-1.,0-interim/IBM-PC/MS-DOS/1" to
run agains an hp 350 running HP-UX.  My uupc\lib\systems is read
and it does perform the login sequence, does the Shere=xxx exchange,
but it fails when it comes to sending over the files.

If anybody think they can help me, please send me a mail and I will
send you more info.

Thanks in advance,
--
Bjorn Engsig,	Domain:		bengsig@oracle.nl, bengsig@oracle.com