[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ati vga wonder

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/08/89)

This is something that has been bothering me for quite sometime and I would
like a confirmation from somebody on this matter.

Does the ATI VGA Wonder have the ability to emulate VGA or EGA on any monitor
(i.e. function as an ATI EGA Wonder)?  I'm debating whether or not to buy this
card, and if it can do even EGA emulation on a monochrome monitor, I will be
happy.  Upgrading the card is a high priority, but the monitor isn't since I
really don't need the color, but I do like the ability to emulate even EGA
which is impressive via the EGA Wonder card.

If the VGA Wonder can't do this, then I guess I'm stuck buying an EGA Wonder
and upgrading the system as a whole to a VGA Wonder and VGA monitor when my
bank account can handle it.  I basically want VGA (or even EGA) emulation
capabilities on a monochrome monitor which fits my needs perfectly.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (11/08/89)

In article <672@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>This is something that has been bothering me for quite sometime and I would
>like a confirmation from somebody on this matter.
>
>Does the ATI VGA Wonder have the ability to emulate VGA or EGA on any monitor
>(i.e. function as an ATI EGA Wonder)?  I'm debating whether or not to buy this
>card, and if it can do even EGA emulation on a monochrome monitor, I will be
>happy.

According to the manual,  TTL Monochrome monitors can be used with
the VGA Wonder in the following ways: monochrome text mode, Hercules text
and graphics modes 720x348, RGB text and graphics mode 320x200 in shades,
EGA text and graphics mode 640x350 in shades, and 132 columns by 44 rows
text for software which either supports this mode or by drivers which are
provided by ATI on the disks supplied with the card.

The manual also says that monitor type will be detected automatically
provided that the monitor is connected before power-up.

I'm using the VGA Wonder with a Zenith ZCM-1490 flat screen monitor, but
I have been unable to get this combination to work with the high resolution
1024x768 mode (this requires extra memory on the VGA Wonder card).  The card
thinks that the Zenith is a multisync monitor, but the Zenith doesn't agree.
Anybody been able to get this to work?
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Keating) (11/09/89)

In article <672@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>Does the ATI VGA Wonder have the ability to emulate VGA or EGA on any monitor
>(i.e. function as an ATI EGA Wonder)?  I'm debating whether or not to buy this
>card, and if it can do even EGA emulation on a monochrome monitor, I will be
>happy.  Upgrading the card is a high priority, but the monitor isn't since I
>really don't need the color, but I do like the ability to emulate even EGA
>which is impressive via the EGA Wonder card.

Well, if its any help, I'm using an ATI VGA Wonder w/ 256k as an EGA card on
a Samtron monochrome monitor without any problems whatsoever...  Only trouble
is lack of color...  :)

				    John Keating

.sig still being built...
--
This is my .sig file...  It ain't finished yet....

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (11/09/89)

I have the ATI VGA WONDER on my system and it does indeed work as an EGA
driver.  I found out because I plugged my multisync monitor into the wrong
video port (it provides both) and the setup software kept telling me I
had an EGA monitor (it senses the monitor type automatically) and wouldn't
let me go into VGA mode.  It also emulates CGA, MDA & Hercules and a
couple of modes I don't remember.

You also have the option of buying the VGA WONDER/256 which is cheaper but
has only 256k of video ram on board.  This is upgradable at a later date
to 512k to give higher resolution VGA modes (800x600, 1024x768).

Goferit!

Ken

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (11/09/89)

>You also have the option of buying the VGA WONDER/256 which is cheaper but
>has only 256k of video ram on board.  This is upgradable at a later date
>to 512k to give higher resolution VGA modes (800x600, 1024x768).

Doesn't the ATI Wonder also allow you to use the extra 256K as some kind
of buffer to increase video IO in the normal VGA modes?

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (11/10/89)

In article <JACOBS.89Nov8092658@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
|I'm using the VGA Wonder with a Zenith ZCM-1490 flat screen monitor, but
|I have been unable to get this combination to work with the high resolution
|1024x768 mode (this requires extra memory on the VGA Wonder card).  The card
|thinks that the Zenith is a multisync monitor, but the Zenith doesn't agree.
|Anybody been able to get this to work?

Our Zenith rep said that Zenith isn't going to support any super-VGA modes
until there's some kind of standard.  They're going to work on getting the
1490 smaller and lighter before they make it multi-mode.  (nice monitor, eh?
We had one on our floor, and everyone fought to use that computer for their
work... :-)

  Bill
--
Bill Fenner                   wcf@hcx.psu.edu             ..!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
sysop@hogbbs.fidonet.org (1:129/87 - 814/238-9633)     ..!lll-winken!/

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/14/89)

In article <JACOBS.89Nov8092658@cmos.cs.utah.edu>, jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
> The manual also says that monitor type will be detected automatically
> provided that the monitor is connected before power-up.
>
> I'm using the VGA Wonder with a Zenith ZCM-1490 flat screen monitor, but
> I have been unable to get this combination to work with the high resolution
> 1024x768 mode (this requires extra memory on the VGA Wonder card).  The card
> thinks that the Zenith is a multisync monitor, but the Zenith doesn't agree.
> Anybody been able to get this to work?

The Zenith monitor is a "true" VGA monitor, supporting only one horizontal
frequency: so any resolution with more than about 540 lines will not work
(some PD GIF viewers and paint packages do support a 720x540 resolution,
pushing a fixed frequency monitor right to its limit).  Normal modes are
limited to 640x480 (no 800x600 or 1024x768).  The reason the ATI card thinks
the Zenith is a multifrequency monitor is probably that the monitor does
not assert either of the two control lines the monitor uses to tell the
IBM 8514/A card what kind of monitor is attached.  These lines are usually
used by fixed frequency analog monitors, but omitted on older multisync
monitors (designed before the VGA came out).

> --
> Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

Charles Marslett

"Those who would sacrifice **  Charles Marslett
liberty for security,      **  STB Systems, Inc. <-- apply all std. disclaimers
deserve neither."          **  Wordmark Systems  <-- that's just me
  -- Benjamin Franklin     **  chasm\@attctc.dallas.tx.us

35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (04/10/90)

In article <3762.2617f8b4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

> 	Can someone tell me where I can find and get ahold of the
> following video drivers for the ATI VGA Wonder car?
>
> Bobby Li
> INTERNET:  TT3X@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

- I would also like to hear of any sources for ATI VGA drivers, in
particular if someone has a patch or version of the PDS IMDISP
software for the VGA hi-res modes.

ps - IMDISP is used to display planetary image data from Voyager
thanks nickerso@uwovax.uwo.ca