From: rpostgat@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (Richard G. Postgate)

----------------------+
Richard Postgate      |
rpostgat@fs0.ee.ubc.ca|

----------------------+
Richard G. Postgate   |
rpostgat@fs0.ee.ubc.ca|
Subject: ATI VGAWonder incorrectly detects monitor
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
    I just bought an ATI VGAWonder video card, and I cannot get it to
believe that I have an analog multisync (monochrome; a TVM MG-11)
monitor attached to it.  It always autodetects the monitor as an EGA (as
the manual says it will do when it detects a multisync digital monitor).

rpostgat@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (Richard G. Postgate) (04/08/90)

(Sorry about the first message with this subject- it's amazing how badly
you can mangle a posting when you're new to unix! I'll try again...)

    I just bought an ATI VGAWonder video card, and I cannot get it to
believe that I have an analog multisync (monochrome; a TVM MG-11)
monitor attached to it.  It always autodetects the monitor as an EGA (as
the manual says it will do when it detects a multisync digital monitor).
The monitor is definitely in analog mode, and plugged into the 15 pin
connector on the ATI card.  Does anyone know how the ATI card tries to
detect an analog multisync monitor?  Is there any way to override the
monitor type it selects, perhaps with a small utility program (the ATI
utilities won't let you do this)?

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/10/90)

In article <1233@fs1.ee.ubc.ca>, rpostgat@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (Richard G. Postgate)
writes:
>     I just bought an ATI VGAWonder video card, and I cannot get it to
> believe that I have an analog multisync (monochrome; a TVM MG-11)
> monitor attached to it.  It always autodetects the monitor as an EGA (as
> the manual says it will do when it detects a multisync digital monitor).
> The monitor is definitely in analog mode, and plugged into the 15 pin
> connector on the ATI card.  Does anyone know how the ATI card tries to
> detect an analog multisync monitor?  Is there any way to override the
> monitor type it selects, perhaps with a small utility program (the ATI
> utilities won't let you do this)?

Have you tried turning the monitor on before turning on the computer?  I heard
that this has solved the problem for some people.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (HD7X@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)