[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 extended to expanded memory

AVIR@BGUVM.BITNET (Aviel Roy-Shapira) (04/09/90)

I just upgraded my system to a 20m"Hz 386 clone. I know that the 386 is
supposed to convert extended to expanded memory without dificulty, but, what is
the best way. I've tried a couple of EMS drivers, but they don't seem to work,
or the system crashes.  Help anyone?

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (04/10/90)

AVIR@BGUVM.BITNET (Aviel Roy-Shapira) writes:
>I just upgraded my system to a 20m"Hz 386 clone. I know that the 386 is
>supposed to convert extended to expanded memory without dificulty, but, what is
>the best way. I've tried a couple of EMS drivers, but they don't seem to work,
>or the system crashes.  Help anyone?

If you have a good 386 BIOS, the BIOS should remap the extended to expanded
via the CMOS Setup RAM program.  My newly acquired 386SX with Phoenix 386 BIOS
does that.  It has the Intel/Zylos chip set on it.  And I know that the ALR
PowerFlex w/386SX board will do it as well.  The bottom line is check your
BIOS.  If you have a good BIOS (i.e. Phoenix) it should do it for you without
ANY drivers.  Just set up the EMS page frames from the setup program.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */