[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEAT 'external mapper'

c8847914@cc.nu.oz (Athol ('Mugz') Mullen.) (04/11/90)

In article <12184.2621d264@cc.nu.oz>, c8847914@cc.nu.oz (Athol ('Mugz') Mullen.) writes:
> With 384K, you can only load part of DESQview into EXT or EMS memory, and
> use the rest as a 'swap disk'.
>
> DESQview needs at least 1Meg of EMS (EEMS or EMS4.0) before it will run
> programs in there. With EMS, DV loads about 32K of itself up there.

Oops!

The above comments were based on my own experience with a NEAT 286 machine.
(supposedly EMS4.0)

Appendix B of the DESQview 2.0 manual clearly indicates that any true EEMS
will backfill all spaces above 640K.

I read in an Australian magazine yesterday that the NEAT chipset only does
EMS 3.2, but that adding an 'external mapper' chip will give true EMS4.0

Does anybody know anything about this extra chip?

--

Mugz.

Signature? I'm only an undergrad !