[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ANSI sequences and DESQview

hall@cs.odu.edu (Randy Hall) (04/10/90)

I have been playing around with the ANSI key re-define sequences.  I have no
problem when I am outside of DV, but when I am in a DOS window of DV, none of
the re-definition sequences work.  All other ANSI is ok.

I have tried both the DVANSI.COM and ANSI.SYS by loading it with the DRIVER
and neither work.

Has anyone had any success re-defining keys withing DV.  If so, post or e-mail
the instructions on how to get it to work.

By the way, the macro abilities of DV are now what I am looking for.  I want
to define a key at the DOS prompt only.

.						Thanks
.						Randy Hall
.						hall@cs.odu.edu

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (04/11/90)

In article <12122@xanth.cs.odu.edu> hall@cs.odu.edu (Randy Hall) writes:
>I have been playing around with the ANSI key re-define sequences.  I have no
>problem when I am outside of DV, but when I am in a DOS window of DV, none of
>the re-definition sequences work.  All other ANSI is ok.
>
>I have tried both the DVANSI.COM and ANSI.SYS by loading it with the DRIVER
>and neither work.

I discovered when I first started using DV that ANSI.SYS would not work; you
need to load ANSI from within the window.  For about one day I used
DVANSI.COM -- but it is hardwired for 25 lines, and I use a 50 line display
for everything.  This leaves DNANSI.ARC (in PD1:<MSDOS.DESQVIEW) and
PC-Mag's ANSI.COM.

If you read the docs for DNANSI you will discover that it is a hacked
version of PC Mag's ANSI.COM, with the key redefinition removed.  It is also
supposed to have some changes that make it more appropriate for running
under DV, but I have no idea what those might be.  I have found that it is
not fully ANSI.SYS compatible; my PROMPT is $e[34m$p$g$e[37m (I'm working
from memory; I think 34 is green.), and although the command line is grey,
when I run some commands (such as 4dos' SELECT) the text is still green.  I
just switched back to ANSI.COM; version 1.3 is available as
PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>ANSI13.ARC from Simtel, and NOT in any of the vol??n??.arc
files I have seen; the one in vol8n02 is version 1.0.

Anyway, ANSI.COM DOES support key redefinition; you can even specify the
size of the buffer you want to allocate for keys, and clear that buffer with
ANSI /C.  I don't use key redefs, but I have had no problems with it.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  So maybe I blather a bit.