[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problem w/ Norton Utilities on Zenith 386

scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) (04/11/90)

	Hello, I just recently purchased a Zenith 386, runs at 25 Mhz, with
the 1492 FTM, and has a 70 Meg ESDI hard disc.  About all I've installed on
it is Windows/386 and Microsoft Word 5.0.  I borrowed someones copy of
Norton Utilities Version 4.0, and when I try and run it - it has problems
accessing the hard disc.  E.g. it cannot read the volume label on the hard
disc, it cannot display any directory info.  I'm having similar type problems
with QDOS2 - namely, an inability to read/see anything on the hard disc.

	Is this a problem with this version of Norton, or is this related to
having an ESDI hard disc?  Any comments/experiences/work arounds would be
helplful.

	If others are having this problem, and I develop a work around I'll
be happy to share it.

scpinker@pikes.colorado.edu

rb@ac.dal.ca (04/11/90)

In article <3531@pikes.Colorado.EDU>, scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) writes:

> 	Hello, I just recently purchased a Zenith 386, runs at 25 Mhz, with
> the 1492 FTM, and has a 70 Meg ESDI hard disc.  About all I've installed on
> it is Windows/386 and Microsoft Word 5.0.  I borrowed someones copy of
> Norton Utilities Version 4.0, and when I try and run it - it has problems
> accessing the hard disc.  E.g. it cannot read the volume label on the hard
> disc, it cannot display any directory info.  I'm having similar type problems
> with QDOS2 - namely, an inability to read/see anything on the hard disc.
>
> 	Is this a problem with this version of Norton, or is this related to
> having an ESDI hard disc?  Any comments/experiences/work arounds would be
> helplful.
>
> 	If others are having this problem, and I develop a work around I'll
> be happy to share it.
>
> scpinker@pikes.colorado.edu

Norton has a special version of the utilities that works on the Z386 with
ZDOS 3.3+. The zenith dos is an enhanced dos3.3, not quite 4.0 but different
enough from straight 3.3 that some things do not work with it. The problem
probably stems from ZDOS3.3+'s ability to use large partitions. Call the norton
helpline or whatever for ordering info.
Rick Ballard                         EMail : RB@AC.DAL.CA
Medical Information Services
Dalhousie University