[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Leading Edge Clock Problem

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (O) (04/08/90)

    Hi All,
       Here's an odd question.  An office I do some stuff for has two
    Leading Edge PCs (Model D).  BOth have real-time clocks.  Recently
    the hard drive on one died completely and I replaced it.  However,
    this machine was old enough that I used a DOS 3.3 that came with
    an Epson Equity II+ instead of the DOS 3.1 that was on the Leading
    Edge's dead hard disk.  Since that time the clock in the Leading
    Edge whose hard drive died won't keep the time through a cold
    boot.  I checked the CONFIG.SYS file on the other Leading Edge and
    that only has the usual files and buffers lines - so there's no
    clock driver in the config file.  It seems odd that the clock
    should stop at exactly the same time as the hard disk, so I'm
    prone to believe that there is a software answer.

       Assuming the version of DOS I installed is the reason for the
    clock to stop working, is there an easy way to install an older
    version of DOS over a newer one without re-formatting?  Can I just
    delete the COMMAND.COM and the two invisible files and replace
    them with the equivalent ones from the older DOS?

       Many thanks .... Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (04/08/90)

Perhaps you don't need a device driver...  my Smartwatch realtime
clock came with a program (named rdclock.com) which is executed from
AUTOEXEC.BAT and sets the software/DOS clock from the hardware clock.

dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) (04/09/90)

In article <3822.261de7ec@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (O) writes:

>       Here's an odd question.  An office I do some stuff for has two
>    Leading Edge PCs (Model D).  BOth have real-time clocks.  Recently
>    the hard drive on one died completely and I replaced it.  However,
>    this machine was old enough that I used a DOS 3.3 that came with
>    an Epson Equity II+ instead of the DOS 3.1 that was on the Leading
>    Edge's dead hard disk.  Since that time the clock in the Leading
>    Edge whose hard drive died won't keep the time through a cold
>    boot.  I checked the CONFIG.SYS file on the other Leading Edge and
>    that only has the usual files and buffers lines - so there's no
>    clock driver in the config file.  It seems odd that the clock
>    should stop at exactly the same time as the hard disk, so I'm
>    prone to believe that there is a software answer.

In my Model D (which I'm using at this very moment) there's a device
driver that DOS needs to read the realtime clock from the motherboard.
(The name is CLKDRVR.SYS)  This is most likely the problem; I don't
have an explanation for why your other LE-D doesn't have the
DEVICE= line in CONFIG.SYS.  Getting Microsoft to modify MS-DOS to
incorporate special features is an expensive proposition, and it's
unlikely that Leading Edge would have gone this route when they could
do it through a simple device driver.

Go and find the original DOS disks and reinstall them. Using a DOS
from another clone is a risky thing to do unless it's Microsoft's
generic version.

>       Assuming the version of DOS I installed is the reason for the
>    clock to stop working, is there an easy way to install an older
>    version of DOS over a newer one without re-formatting?  Can I just
>    delete the COMMAND.COM and the two invisible files and replace
>    them with the equivalent ones from the older DOS?

Boot from the floppy with the DOS you want to install and use the SYS
command (from that floppy) to overwrite the system files and COMMAND.COM.
You'll have to copy the CLKDRVR.SYS file separately, though, and install
it in CONFIG.SYS yourself.

regards,
dan

Daniel R. Kuespert, Ph.A.
Chemical Process Systems Laboratory
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD 20742

dank@eng.umd.edu

u-dmfloy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) (04/09/90)

On the question of Leading Edge Clocks:

I had the same problem with my Leading Edge PC when I upgraded
the DOS for the LE DOS to a generic.  In my machine (which is not
a model D like the others) LE did something to the DOS to make it
read the clock - no device driver, no autoexec.  LE DOS does the clock.
This may differ on a model D, as at least two other postings have
pointed out.  (I think I just offered contradictory opinion about
LE modifying DOS too.)

In order to combat the problem, I wrote my own program that I placed in
the autoexec.bat file.  If the LE model D has the same (read compatible)
clock as the older LE PC (an even money bet) you just need that type
of program.

Dan
Dan Floyd
u-dmfloy@ug

dlu@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Dan Lu,,,) (04/09/90)

From article <3822.261de7ec@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, by pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (O):

|     Hi All,
|        Here's an odd question.  An office I do some stuff for has two
|     Leading Edge PCs (Model D).  BOth have real-time clocks.  Recently
|     the hard drive on one died completely and I replaced it.  However,
|     this machine was old enough that I used a DOS 3.3 that came with
|     an Epson Equity II+ instead of the DOS 3.1 that was on the Leading
|     Edge's dead hard disk.  Since that time the clock in the Leading
|     Edge whose hard drive died won't keep the time through a cold
|     boot.  I checked the CONFIG.SYS file on the other Leading Edge and
|     that only has the usual files and buffers lines - so there's no
|     clock driver in the config file.  It seems odd that the clock
|     should stop at exactly the same time as the hard disk, so I'm
|     prone to believe that there is a software answer.
|
|        Assuming the version of DOS I installed is the reason for the
|     clock to stop working, is there an easy way to install an older
|     version of DOS over a newer one without re-formatting?  Can I just
|     delete the COMMAND.COM and the two invisible files and replace
|     them with the equivalent ones from the older DOS?
|
|        Many thanks .... Adam
|

| --
| Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
| "I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"
|                                                            -Paul Simon

You really shouldn't have to change your version of dos.  I changed dos
versions on my le without a hitch.  You do need to either have

device=clkdvr.sys

in your config.sys, or a program in your autoexec.bat which reads the
le clock tho.  The standard way is to use CLKDVR.SYS, which is on the
Dos 3.1 distribution disks that came with the leading edges.  There is
also a program that will read the le clock, but it doesn't come with
the leading edge, and I don't remember where I found it before (and
I've since misplaced that file)

Anyways, try installing clkdvr.sys in your config.sys & see if it works.
You might also take another look at the config.sys & autoexec.bat on
your other leading edge (with the working clock).  There has to be something
there which handles the clock.

Hope this helps.

Dan

dlu@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
dlupg@uiamvs.bitnet

hydrox@itsgw.rpi.edu (Michael A. Hendrix) (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr8.222651.21046@hellgate.utah.edu> u-dmfloy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) writes:
>On the question of Leading Edge Clocks:
>
>I had the same problem with my Leading Edge PC when I upgraded
>the DOS for the LE DOS to a generic.  In my machine (which is not
>a model D like the others) LE did something to the DOS to make it
>read the clock - no device driver, no autoexec.  LE DOS does the clock.

I also had owned an older Leading Edge.  I discovered that they located the
clock in a different place than where IBM had put theirs, so the only way to
read and set the clock with the correct time was to use Leading Edge's
version of DOS, which was modified to read/set the clock.  When you upgrade
to a different DOS you will need a device driver to be able to access the clock.

   The Dragon's Lair BBS                  |         hydrox@pawl.rpi.edu
  300/1200/2400 N81  8PM - 10AM Daily     |     Michael_Hendrix@mts.rpi.edu
  (413) 743-1828  Adams, MA  01220        |        BITNET: F7TZ@RPITSMTS

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (04/11/90)

There is a device driver available for the LE clock when you upgrade DOS.
Contact any Leading Edge dealer.  I got one for my father's LE when I moved it
up to DOS 3.3 from 2.1.

Unfortunately, the LE is in Connecticut and I am in Washington D.C. or I'd
offer to send you one.

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke,2C-119,7239,ATTBL) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr8.222651.21046@hellgate.utah.edu>, u-dmfloy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Daniel M Floyd) writes:
> On the question of Leading Edge Clocks:
>
> I had the same problem with my Leading Edge PC when I upgraded
> the DOS for the LE DOS to a generic.  In my machine (which is not
> a model D like the others) LE did something to the DOS to make it
>
> In order to combat the problem, I wrote my own program that I placed in
> the autoexec.bat file.  If the LE model D has the same (read compatible)
> clock as the older LE PC (an even money bet) you just need that type
> of program.
>
> Dan

The prospects for the Leading Edge Model M (the earlier model) and
the Model D being the same are dim.  M stood for Mitsubishi and
the D for a Korean manufacturer Daiewo.

BTW if you wrote a program which fixed the problem with the Model
M, watch out on May 31.  That real time clock thinks that May
has only 30 days (the fix was in the L.E. dos).

Forrest Gehrke feg@clyde.ATT.COM