[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lotus bought Novell???

kla@physc1.byu.edu (04/08/90)

I have also heard this from people who work closely with Novell (It being here
in Provo I think it is on pretty good authority) What will happen to Novell is
anyone's guess, but it seems unlikely that Netware can get any more expensive
than it already is.

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (04/10/90)

In article <65kla@physc1.byu.edu>, kla@physc1.byu.edu writes:
> I have also heard this from people who work closely with Novell (It being here
> in Provo I think it is on pretty good authority) What will happen to Novell is
> anyone's guess, but it seems unlikely that Netware can get any more expensive
> than it already is.

From CSN (Computer System News) April 9, 1990, Page 1:
quoted without permission

"Lotus Development Corp. last week agreed in principle
to acquire Novell Inc., a move that highlights a key
computing imperative for the 1990s: Applications are
only as good as the networks on which they run.

"'All of our applications are moving onto networks,'
said Lotus vice president Frank King, in explaining
the thinking behind the proposed deal. 'And Novell is
sitting there with the largest installed base of
network users.'

"The stock transaction, valued at $1.42 billion, would
combine Lotus' spreadsheet might with Novell's strength
in local-area networks to create a powerful rival to
Microsoft Corp in the PC software market. To date,
Microsoft is the only company that can offer nearly
every type of software for large PC networks.

[...omitted quotes from various industry sources about
how good this will be or how bad this will be]

"Wall Street did not look upon the acquisition too kindly.
At Friday's close, Novell stock had plunged to $38.75
from $42.88, while Lotus' stock had slipped to $34.25
from $36.25.

"The agreement is subject to approval by both companies'
boards, regulatory agencies and shareholders."

[... more omitted stuff]

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (04/10/90)

Sorry to say, but the rumors are indeed true.  In typical Wall Street fashion,
the stocks of BOTH companies fell after the deal was announced Friday.

There was an unusually good article in Monday's USA TODAY about it, and I
guess the best that can be said is that it isn't yet consummated.

I've been waffling between NOVELL and 3-COM protocols.  This may decide me!
(And NOT in the direction of LOTUS/NOVELL, I might redundantly add!)

Perhaps the deal was made because NETWARE 386 is up (read 'down') to LOTUS's
standards?
Mike Nolan                                        The above is the result of
(UUCP: ... frith.egr.msu.edu!upba!tssi!nolan)     exhaustive research, careful
Tailored Software Services, Inc.                  analysis, and prolonged
Lincoln, Nebraska                                 deliberation--after which I
(402) 423-1490                                    flipped a coin.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (04/11/90)

In article <1608@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>I've been waffling between NOVELL and 3-COM protocols.  This may decide me!
>(And NOT in the direction of LOTUS/NOVELL, I might redundantly add!)
>
>Perhaps the deal was made because NETWARE 386 is up (read 'down') to LOTUS's
>standards?

NetWare 386 is apparently up to PC Magazine's standards; they gave it a
Technical Excellence Award last year...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  Not that I LIKE Netware or anything...but I've only used SFT.

car4131@mioem.UUCP (Mark Emanuele Info. Mgt. Off. 4131) (04/11/90)

In article <118@bdgltd.UUCP>, ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) writes:
> I just heard that Lotus has bought/is bying Novell. Can anyone shed any
> light on this??? Where was IBM?? What is going to happen to the price
> of Netware?? What will happen to Novell's product delivery schedule??
> So many questions and no answers.

Knowing Lotus Development Corp., they will jack up the price 300 % and cut
off all customer support.  :-).

Mark Emanuele N2CBO