[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Perstor ADRT HD controller, good ?

jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) (04/11/90)

Has anybody had any experiences using HD controller (made by
Perstor Systems Inc) PS180-FN. It is supposed to increase
the capacity of MFM harddisks by 90%. This is achieved by
formatting 31 sectors/track.

I think it does what it promises, but is it reliable ??

Markku M{enp{{
jackin@vehka.uta.fi.uucp

PS. Does anybody have the FAX-number of Digital Research, USA ?

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (04/12/90)

In article <1124@kielo.uta.fi>, jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) writes:
> Has anybody had any experiences using HD controller

Yes. We use a Perstor PS180-16FN for DOS and Xenix. It works fine
in both os's.

> It is supposed to increase the capacity of MFM harddisks by 90%.
> This is achieved by formatting 31 sectors/track.

The ADRT (Advanced Disk Recording Technology, what a great name) very
simply changes the sector per track of MFM and RLL drives from 17
to 31, which gives about 90% storage increase. There are two additional
imporvements worth note: data transfer of 9 mbit/sec instead of 5 with
MFM and 7.5 with RLL; and 56 bit ECC

> I think it does what it promises, but is it reliable ??

Yes, it does do a godd job of working, but Perstor is very specific
about the drives that will work. Down to the _serial_ number of
certain models by certain manufacturers.

Some example of increased storage:

	Drive			Original	w/ Perstor
	-----			-------		----------
	Seagate ST225		20mb		39mb
	Seagate ST4096		80mb		146mb

	Micropolis 1335		72mb		130mb

	Priam ID130		160mb		244mb

A fews words of caution:

	The typical disk test utilities in DOS will have a hard time
	"seeing" the "data read using ECC reconstruction" flag when
	reading errors. This will fool such programs as Spinrite II
	and Norton Disk Test. I've got a marginal sector on my DOS
	system that the Perstor will (audibly) have trouble reading
	but the test programs will (eventually) get good read results
	from.

	We could not install AT&T Unix V/386 3.2 with the Perstor
	even tho the Perstor is "WD" command compatible. After the
	initial surface scan, the install program died with "Could
	not verify sector already marked as good". Anyone know how
	to bypass the INSTALL and INSTALL2 portions of the boot
	disk and STILL get Unix on the disk? Intel doesn't. (We
	bought the Intel shrink-wrapped version)

Other than this, we've had good results. The installation can be
a little tricky if you haven't installed 10 gaskillion drives
before (just the usual "if your cable has a twist, do this" garbage).

You should be able to get a 16FN for $275-300, maybe a little higher
retail. We don't sell hardware, but I'd be glad to point any price
sensative soul in the right direction.

	Perstor Systems, Inc.
	1335 South Park Lane
	Tempe, AZ 85281
	602.894.3494
--
   "It's such a fine line between stupid..."    | Doug Lucy  703.820.3922
   "...and stupid."                             | DC Pro, Falls Church, VA