[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate keyboards

punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (Card 54...) (03/17/89)

From article <738@omen.UUCP>, by caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX):

> Compared to the "classic AT" keyboard, the lack of a separate
> SysRq key makes life a bit more interesting with VP/ix.  On
> the other hand,  function keys across the top on the new IBM keyboards
> is the pits, not to mention the Ctrl key.  I do wish the tilde/squiggle
> key were someplace logical instead of next to the spacebar.  And I'm
> not too happy with backslash/pipe bering just to the right of the
> right shift key.

I've been using the Northgate Omni Key 102 for a few months now, and I'm
as much a fan as the others who've chosen to chime in on this thread.  I've
got 2 of the AT&T versions of this unit.  They have a ROM that supports
AT&T's different communications protocol, and an adaptor cable.  My order
was shipped promptly, and I even got a followup call to see how I liked them,
though I think the real motivation there was to sell me one of their clones.
The only problem I've had with it is occasional failure to reset when I do a
hard reboot on my 6300.  The layout has a few things I'm not so fond of,
mostly those mentioned above, but it's worth putting up with to have the
function keys on the left.  The PrintScreen key needs no shifting to activate,
which has caused me occasional undesired prints, and the cursor keys
sometimes come up in the wrong mode with some applications, a problem that
is easily resolved by a couple of taps of the NumLock key.  I like the feel,
but as others have said, that's a pretty personal matter.  And coming from
the piece of garbage AT&T ships with the 6300, the Northgate is a real joy
to use, and probably won't need cleaning yearly to maintain its feel, like
the AT&T does.

--
David T. Punia    Voice: 802-656-1915  Compu$erve: 72617,1211
Univ. of Vermont CSEE dept             UUCPathalias --> punia@uvm-gen.uucp

phil@pepsi.amd.com (02/16/90)

I'm in the market for a new keyboard and have heard various good
things about Northgate. Are they available only from the factory?
Would anyone care to comment on them?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/18/90)

Good stuff: function keys where God intended them to be, extra keypad,
solid feel, good click, detachable data cord.  I'd never go back.

--
O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Box 1070, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

root@km4ba.UUCP (root) (02/19/90)

I love em! .... the best layout & feel I have found. I am
thinking about buying one or two as spares!

Alan Barrow
gatech!kd4nc!km4ba!alan

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (02/20/90)

I like them too.  I use an OmniKey/102 at work and have an order in for one for home usage.  I tried the OmniKey/Plus and returned it - I didn't need the extra keys and found myself more confused than helped by a full second keypad.  If
they had an 84 key keyboard (function keys on left, only one set of cursor control keys), that would be exactly what I want.  The OmniKey/102 is an acceptably
close second.

MOORE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (Hugh Kelsea Moore) (02/22/90)

I have the Northgate keyboard.  Bought it with the Northgate 25MHz machine.
I don't think it is as good as the best IBM keyboards, but it's not bad.

mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/90)

I cannot resist:

The much praised Northgate OmniKey is the *worst* keyboard I have ever
used (I haven't tried pounding nails with it, but I suspect that it's
not much good for that either).

Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.  I much prefer
either IBM or my (admittedly cheesly - Made in Taiwan) ZEOS
keyboard for both writing and programming - nice easy touch, crisp
click.

alan mead : mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/23/90)

In article <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
|Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
|that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.  I much prefer

It feels great to me (I might even like it better than the IBM,
which seems to have too much key travel and force) but keyboards are
like editors, they tend to get religious.

|either IBM or my (admittedly cheesly - Made in Taiwan) ZEOS
|keyboard for both writing and programming - nice easy touch, crisp
|click.

Surprise! Northgate is also MIT.

--

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (02/23/90)

In article <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> The much praised Northgate OmniKey is the *worst* keyboard I have ever
> used (I haven't tried pounding nails with it, but I suspect that it's
> not much good for that either).
>
> Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
> that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.  I much prefer
> either IBM or my (admittedly cheesly - Made in Taiwan) ZEOS
> keyboard for both writing and programming - nice easy touch, crisp
> click.

Talk about starting religious wars!  Why not ask about editors,
programming languages, or operating systems?  :-)

A lot of keyboard preference is what you first encounter - after
that, all later experiences are colored (one way or another) by
that memory.  Personally, I did much of my early programming on
Hazeltine, Beehive, and DEC terminals (pre-VT-100).  All of these
terminals (as well as the VT-100) have what IBM keyboard aficionados
call a "mushy" feel. (if you miss the feedback many such terminals
allow you to select a keyclick option).  I find the IBM keyboard
rather noisy and clackity.

Personal preference in keyboards is just that - there's not much
point trying to analyze it rationally.

Seems like keyboard makers could make more people happy by allowing
their keyboards to be configured (like the DEC keyboards mentioned
above) or selling different versions of the keyboard.

						Bruce C. Wright

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/24/90)

In article <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I cannot resist:
>The much praised Northgate OmniKey is the *worst* keyboard I have ever
>used [...]
>Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
>that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.  I much prefer
>either IBM or my (admittedly cheesly - Made in Taiwan) ZEOS
>keyboard for both writing and programming - nice easy touch, crisp
>click.

I can't resist either. Here is my very objective :-) analysis of the Northgate
Keyboard:

IBM keyboards have too much of a click -- they feel too mechanical -- a
Papa Bear keyboard. Most keyboards shiped with systems provide no feedback of
any kind -- cold mush, Mama Bear keyboard. The Northgate gives just the right
amount of mechanical and audible feedback. It's the Baby Bear keyboard.

Like the IBM, the Northgate has reasonable mass. It sits well on the lap. Most
cheap keyboards leave me worried that the coil cord will yank the keyboard
off my lap.

The Northgate keyboard doesn't have any of those key placement mistakes that
have been on every IBM keyboard:
Unlike the PC keyboard, there is no key between the left shift and the Z, and
  the backspace and return keys are oversize.
Unlike the AT 84 key keyboard, the Escape is in the correct place, and the
  backspace key is oversize.
Unlike the AT 101 key keyboard, the control and escape keys are in the correct
 place and the function keys go down the left side (and most theologians agree
 that is where God intended they be -- "Thou Shalt Not Place Thy Function Keys
 Across The Top Of Thy Keyboards").

I've got three Northgate keyboards, and wouldn't trade them for any other.

And my keyboard can beat up your keyboard!  So there!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (david lu) (02/24/90)

	The only thing I don't like about the Northgate keyboard
is its price.  It's just too expensive for a starving student like
me.

						- David

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/24/90)

In article <29255@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> | Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
> | that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.
>
> It feels great to me (I might even like it better than the IBM,
> which seems to have too much key travel and force) but keyboards are
> like editors, they tend to get religious.

Although most people will probably agree that the PS/2 keyboards are
just about the worst for routine usage.  The "escape" is in the wrong
place...so I press "~" all the time.  The control key is wrong, the
"Caps Lock" key is where control is supposed to be, the function keys
are on the top.

IBM spent millions of dollars to develope the Selectric typewriter
keyboard, which is probably the best keyboard ever made.  So why
do they keep messing with success and screwing up the PC keyboards???

BTW--although I like my Northgate keyboard, it does have a nasty
habit of repeating a key if you press it ever-so-lightly.  I only
notice this when I am in "rn", and I rest my trigger finger on "n".

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

tbetz@upaya.lilink.COM (Tom Betz) (02/25/90)

Quoth mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu in <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>:

|The much praised Northgate OmniKey is the *worst* keyboard I have ever
|used (I haven't tried pounding nails with it, but I suspect that it's
|not much good for that either).
|
|Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
|that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.  I much prefer
|either IBM or my (admittedly cheesly - Made in Taiwan) ZEOS
|keyboard for both writing and programming - nice easy touch, crisp
|click.

There's no accounting for taste.  I don't like clicking keys or a
stiff feel. I prefer a mushier keyboard, with a light touch, like
the Wyse Taiwan keyboard I'm using right now.

People used to the stiffer keys of a Selectric will prefer the
IBM keyboard.  I never liked typewriters, and have only become a
regular keyboarder with the advent of PCs.

Everyone's preferences are different... that's why so many
companies can make so many different keyboards.
--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
----------------------------------------------------|  tbetz@upaya.lilink.com

norm@bartek1.uucp (Norm Bartek) (02/26/90)

I recently purchased a Northgate keyboard for only one reason - it has the
ESCape and control keys in the "standard place".  It seems that IBM plays
games with keyboard layouts (as they have with the typical 101 key AT style
keyboards available through them as well as clone manufacturers). I also have
an XT clone and a Zenith AT clone. Both have the control key next to the
letter A (common in the industry). The ESCape key is also in easy reach
(above the TAB key).

If you haven't had the pleasure ;-) of having different keyboard layouts
side by side, you can't imagine the grief you go through trying to switch
back and forth between the two systems. As far as tactile feedback or "feel",
that is indeed a religous issue. Layout, on the other hand, should be
the consistent in all places. If you want examples, try to do any real work on a
DEC LK-201 keyboard (Rainbow and others) and then go back to a PC keyboard.
DEC had the insight to put the backspace, ESCape and other keys up in row
of keys above the main keyboard :-( Not nice if you use screen editors which use
the ESC key or ever make typing errors and have to use the backspace key.
If you then go back to a PC, I find that you have to make a conscious effort
in order to be able to type. I haven't had these problems since switching over
to a common layout for the main keys on the keyboard (and dumping the DEC
keyboard).

-- norm --
Bartek Associates, Inc.       Comprehensive Computer Consulting Services
1020 Ponderosa                USENET: uunet!bartek1!norm, norm@bartek1.uu.net
Barrington, IL 60010-5800     PHONE:  +1 708 358 1007   FAX: +1 708 358 7241

teskey@plains.UUCP (Vlad The Impaler) (03/01/90)

In article <53@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>In article <29255@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>> In article <19500056@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> mead@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>> | Which leads me to ask:  What is it that so many of you do with it
>> | that you like it so much?  The "feel" is horrible.
>>
>> It feels great to me (I might even like it better than the IBM,
>> which seems to have too much key travel and force) but keyboards are
>> like editors, they tend to get religious.
>
>Although most people will probably agree that the PS/2 keyboards are
>just about the worst for routine usage.  The "escape" is in the wrong
>place...so I press "~" all the time.  The control key is wrong, the
>"Caps Lock" key is where control is supposed to be, the function keys
>are on the top.
>
>-john-

So is it the layout you are complaining about or are you complaining about
the PS/2 keyboard itself?  There is a pretty wide distinction there.  You
have obviously done most of your earlier computing work on the old style 88
key keyboards from an XT or a PC.  Coming from a person that has worked
primarily with 101 Key keyboards.. those 88 key models are a nightmare!  I
don't know who got the idea that the F keys are 'supposed' to be on the left
but I hate having to pull my hands off the keyboard to hit one.

Anyway.. as far as 101 key keyboards go, if IBM keyboards are so bad, why
is everyone trying to imitate it?  They set the world standard for touch.
They might be just a touch loud for most, but it is a strong, definative
keyboard with no wishy-washy characteristics about it.  With a good firm
feel to it (while still having good travel on each key) you can get great
typing speed without accidentally laaaaaaaayyyyying on a key.  As far as
durability goes, I don't think you could find one that would take more
punishment.  I haven't proven my theory yet, but I think they are
bulletproof.. (kidding.. no flames).

BTW.. my second favorite keyboard is the ZEOS..

Mark W. Teskey

INTERNET:                  teskey@plains.nodak.edu
BITNET:                    teskey@plains
UUCP:                      ...!uunet!plains!teskey

gast@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (03/03/90)

>The Northgate keyboard doesn't have any of those key placement mistakes that
>have been on every IBM keyboard:

So it has the control key next to the "A" key?  I have not seen this
particular keyboard.

If I wanted to buy a selectric typewriter, I would buy one, but I want to
use a computer and I need to hit the control key all the time and I cannot
remember the last time I used the caps lock key.  I don't use FORTRAN?
(Didn't use the caps lock there either).

Why can't someone make a key board with the control key in the correct
place?  Seems pretty simple to me.  If there is such a beast, please let me
know.  Actually, it seems that a setup program should allow you to remap
many of the keys -- perhaps even sending more than one character for certain
keys.  The function keys do it, why not others?  And why the desired
characters?

David Gast
gast@cs.ucla.edu
{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!{ucla-cs,cs.ucla.edu}!gast

deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (04/07/90)

	I also recently bought a Northgate keyboard ( ya know they must
	be making a fortune because of the Net News and all of the talk
	about their keyboards)

	I have a Tandy 1000sx ( refrain from laughter please) and the
	keyboard (102+) worked out of the box, which I took as a good
	sign.  After using it a while though, the darn thing wouldn't
	work after rebooting or on a cold start.  The only cure I found
	was to unplug the keyboard cable from the computer and plug it
	back in while it was on (probably not a good idea, but it worked)
	After a while this became annoying, so I called up Northgate and
	after waiting 15 min. on hold they offered to call me back the
	same day.  Two days later I get the call, and the Tech suggests
	that the EPROM might be *)!(4, so they sent me a new one no charge.
	They also gave me the option of exchanging the keyboard for a brand
	new one, credit card deposit required until you mail the old one
	back.

	The new EPROM works,so far (knock, knock) and it added some new
	features such as:

			- Better control on the key repeat speed
			- Ability to switch the \ key with the *
				key located between CTRL and ALT.

	The second feature doesn't work for me and the new firmware seems to
	to have messed up the scroll lock key as it doesn't work.

	Overall though I like the keyboard. Here are some of the reasons
		for those of you thinking about a replacement keyboard.

	- It's heavy, this sucker is a real keyboard and it has the weight
		to prove it, not like the lightweight plastic junk most
		OEM's like to sell you.

	- The keys are tough, if you are a heavy handed typist, this keyboard
		will survive you.

	- The "tactile feedback" is very IBM'ish, if you like that sort of
		thing.  There is a serious 'click' when a key is pressed
		which may make for a noisy keyboard, but then you also when
		a key wasn't pressed.

	- The layout is pretty well thought out.  It's a big keyboard, plenty
		of room for a big hand.

	On the other hand:

	- It has some problems if your computer isn't an AT, like my 1000
		Keys don't allways work as they are supposed to.

	- The function keys ont the left are great, but more and more
		computers feature the function keys on top.  A combination
		of both sets on one keyboard would be great.

	- The location of the left ALT key leaves a lot to be desired.
		The ability to switch it with the CAPSLOCK key would
		be a welcome addition..

	- The ability to reassign the cursor control keypad would be nice
		also, I've gotten used to the inverted T over the years
		and the other keys (PGUP,PGDWN,HOME,END) are too far apart.

	- The ~ key should be someplace higher on the keyboard.

	I guess I could go on complaining, but I notice most of my complaints
	are pretty much personal preference.  Northgate puts out an excellent
	keyboard and I am glad that I bought one, but it is not perfect.

	Perhaps a good idea, would be to get together a list of suggestions
	to send off to Northgate so that they have some more voice from
	customers or prospective customers?

						-Z Raisin

	* PS: I am not affiliated with Northgate in anyway, except as a happy
		customer.  If anyone can offer a cure for the <SCROLL LOCK>
		key problem, let me know.
rutgers!gritty!zraisin | Super Amazin  Cinnamon Raisin | deen@topaz.rutgers.edu
< < < < M A Y   T H E    P R E Z E N T   T E N Z  B E   W I T H   Y O U > > > >

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (04/07/90)

As a bummed-out EX-Tandy owner, I have a suggestion on how to improve the
operation of your Northgate keyboard: Junk your SX & get another computer.
ANYTHING but a Tandy. They "tweak" their systems just enough to make
them devilishly difficult to interface with anything but other Tandy
equipment.
   This is, of course, all my own opinion, and not official or unofficial
university opinion, etc.... Bob M.

u2zj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Stanton Loh) (04/08/90)

In article <Apr.7.10.15.43.1990.28982@topaz.rutgers.edu>,
deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:

> [...]
>
> 	same day.  Two days later I get the call, and the Tech suggests
> 	that the EPROM might be *)!(4, so they sent me a new one no charge.

I had a 2 yr old Northgate Keyboard which didn't get along
with Lotus v3.  The keyboard was so old that when Northgate
suggested the eprom might need upgrading, inspection revealed
no visible eprom chip at all.

(At my suggestion) they sent me an OmniKey 102.  When I
received it I mailed back my old one.  The old keyboard was
covered by a 3 yr warrantee, but they never even asked me for
the original date of purchase.

The OmniKey is a nicer than my old 101 - it is a bit smaller
(7.25" x 20.25"), the keys have a slightly softer KlicK! to
them, the function keys are on the left and the key position
(from top to bottom) is ctrl-shift-alt.  Just the way I happen
to like a keyboard.

My one nit is that while the keys make a pleasant, productive
Klick KlicK KlicK, the <Return> key makes a loud, chintzy,
flaccid KlacK!

Notwithstanding, I think Northgate makes a quality, durable
keyboard which they support well (and price accordingly).

-Stanton
u2zj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

coffman@plains.UUCP (Clark Coffman) (04/10/90)

In article <Apr.7.10.15.43.1990.28982@topaz.rutgers.edu> deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:
[
[       I also recently bought a Northgate keyboard ( ya know they must
[       be making a fortune because of the Net News and all of the talk
[       about their keyboards)
[
.....Deleted....
[
[       - The function keys ont the left are great, but more and more
[               computers feature the function keys on top.  A combination
[               of both sets on one keyboard would be great.
[

   Northgate sells a keyboard called the Omnikey Plus ( at least I think
that's the one I'm talking about ) that has the function keys on the left
and the top. If I remember correctly, you can use the keys at the top as
normal or as F11 to F20. Looks good..

   Just thought I'd mention it, by the way has anyone actually used
this particular one? I've been considering ordering it.

| Hey, who else would you expect to be responsible for what I say?  |
<===================================================================>__
|                                                                   |..|
| Clark W. Coffman          (Bitnet)   -- NU116215@NDSUVM1          |==>
| 1410 12th Ave. N. Apt. 3  (Internet) -- NU116215@VM1.NODAK.EDU    |. |
| Fargo, N.D. 58102         (Bitnet)   -- coffman@plains            |..|
| 701-232-9531              (Internet) -- coffman@plains.nodak.edu  |..|
|                           (UUCP)     -- uunet!plains!coffman      |. |
|              --)------   Dagda Mor   ------)--                    | .|
 |                                                                 |. .|
  |______:-: You Teach Best What You Most Need To Learn. :-:______|..  |
    |  .... .. .  .... .. .. .....  . .. .....  ... ....  .  .. ..... |
     |______________:-: "Richard Bach" :-:___________________________|

gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) (04/12/90)

In article <4066@plains.UUCP>, coffman@plains.UUCP (Clark Coffman) writes:

> In article <Apr.7.10.15.43.1990.28982@topaz.rutgers.edu> deen@topaz.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:
> [
> [       I also recently bought a Northgate keyboard ( ya know they must
> [       be making a fortune because of the Net News and all of the talk
> [       about their keyboards)
> [
> .....Deleted....
> [
> [       - The function keys ont the left are great, but more and more
> [               computers feature the function keys on top.  A combination
> [               of both sets on one keyboard would be great.
> [
>
>    Northgate sells a keyboard called the Omnikey Plus ( at least I think
> that's the one I'm talking about ) that has the function keys on the left
> and the top. If I remember correctly, you can use the keys at the top as
> normal or as F11 to F20. Looks good..

Ya, this is a really good keyboard except that it does not have F1-F12 on
the top.  It has F1-F10 in the older positions, then F11-F12 right above
them and on the top right area of the keyboard, it has F13-F15 (for mainframe
compatability).

--
Glenn Pitcher                              UUCP: {crash,ucsd}!edpmgt!gpitcher
Programmer/Analyst &                   INTERNET: I wish

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (04/12/90)

...there is a place that sells keyboards with the function keys both across the
top and down the side. BUS Computer Systems - 3 year warranty. $99 (as seen in
February 90 Computer Shopper, page 104) phone 1-800-451-5279.

disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this company, just helping.

 -----
 Mark Solsman, Pennsylvania State University, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA

MHS108 @ PSUVM.BITNET                                MHS108 @ PSUVM.PSU.EDU