[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Paper problems

dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (04/10/90)

I am trying to make a double-sided printout with a 50 page document
with an HP Laserjet series II. I print all the right-hand sides, then
flip the stack over and attempt to print the left-hand sides. Paper
jams and tears inside the printer and it just makes life difficult. I
know this can be done. How you netlanders combat paper jams on side 2?
Thanks.
			...dale

>Item 10369 (0 resps) by dchun at aludra.usc.edu on Tue 10 Apr 90 02:52
>[Dale Chun]    Subject: Paper problems
>(7 lines)
>
>I am trying to make a double-sided printout with a 50 page document
>with an HP Laserjet series II. I print all the right-hand sides, then
>flip the stack over and attempt to print the left-hand sides. Paper
>jams and tears inside the printer and it just makes life difficult. I
>know this can be done. How you netlanders combat paper jams on side 2?

The key to doing this is in the paper you use.  Get good quality paper, and
let it cool before reinserting (it gets warm/hot in the printer).

Second, load it the first time with the grain down (curl in the downward
direction when you're holding the stack).  Ideally you want the grain to
run in the short direction of the paper, but this doesn't always happen.

Finally, use the FACE UP tray (open the back stacking tray in the printer).
Using the face-down tray is asking for trouble, as the paper has more
chances to get creased/kinked.

Once you get a crease in the paper, it WILL jam.  Nearly every time.

We print lots of forms double sided and only have a problem when we forget
these rules :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

vera@cadence.com (Vera Vallentin-Price) (04/11/90)

In article <9014@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu () writes:
>I am trying to make a double-sided printout with a 50 page document
>with an HP Laserjet series II. I print all the right-hand sides, then
>flip the stack over and attempt to print the left-hand sides. Paper
>jams and tears inside the printer and it just makes life difficult. I
>know this can be done. How you netlanders combat paper jams on side 2?
>Thanks.
>			...dale

It helps to fan the paper before re-inserting it into the paper bin
(the paper get staticki from the first pass). After that, take the
stack and roll it against the curl (most papers are curled in the
long direction, which tends to get the leading two edges of the
paper getting stuck. Lay down the stack on a flat surface and look
at it. If the top sheets still curl do some more rolling and bending.

The newer laser printer paper has fewer problems with this because
it is cut in the opposite grain direction (less curl). It's a little
more expensive but well worth it.

Vera.

danb@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dan Budiac) (04/11/90)

In article <9014@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu () writes:
>I am trying to make a double-sided printout with a 50 page document
>with an HP Laserjet series II. I print all the right-hand sides, then
>flip the stack over and attempt to print the left-hand sides. Paper
>jams and tears inside the printer and it just makes life difficult. I
>know this can be done. How you netlanders combat paper jams on side 2?

It's happened to me before, too. I found that if you open up the printer
and let it cool off a bit before printing on the other side, it works fine.
Also, make sure the paper is evenly stacked. Nothing technical, but it
works for me.

casey@well.sf.ca.us (Kathleen Creighton) (04/12/90)

Be grateful it's jamming because you'll ruin your printer doing this.  The
wiper arm on the II (or any Canon-engine printer or copier) cannot accommodate
wiping both sides--so you'll be left with black streaks forever and ever.
After printing only *one* page two sides, I've had streaks for several more
pages.  I can just imagine what 50 would do.

HP does make a printer that will print both sides--the HP IID.
--
Kathleen Creighton                     {pacbell,hplabs,apple,ucbvax}!well!casey
San Francisco

>-----
>Response 4 of 4 (10369) by casey at well.sf.ca.us on Thu 12 Apr 90 02:57
>[Kathleen Creighton]
>(11 lines)
>
>Be grateful it's jamming because you'll ruin your printer doing this.  The
>wiper arm on the II (or any Canon-engine printer or copier) cannot accommodate
>wiping both sides--so you'll be left with black streaks forever and ever.
>After printing only *one* page two sides, I've had streaks for several more
>pages.  I can just imagine what 50 would do.

Nonsense.

We do this all the time, with hundreds of sheets per month.

It IS true that you tend to get some contamination of the fuser cleaning
wiper doing this.  It is not debilitating, and goes away instantly if you
change the fusing roller wiper blade (that green blade with the cloth on
the side) or if you remove the wiper and scrape off the fused toner which is
contaminating it.

The contamination is made worse by reversing a graphic-image printed page
and loading that back in.  Thus, if you have one heavily-loaded page of
graphics, and another of text, print the TEXT side first, then reverse the
page.

The one time I saw a REAL problem with this practice the company in question
was running Xeroxed letterhead through their laser printer.  They were
getting HORRIBLE streaking.  On investigation it was revealed that their
copier was a wet-process unit (ie: developer was a liquid, toner was some
kind of slurry) and the fuser in their photocopier was using a much lower
temperature than the Laserjet.... the result being that very significant
amounts of toner were being released by the LJ's fuser and contaminating the
paper path.

Even THAT was cleared by changing the fusing roller cleaner..... it did take
about 10 sheets of paper for it to go away completely.  Our unit gets a
little dirty at times from the "abuse", but cleaning the fuser roller
cleaner has never failed to solve the problem.