[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSDOS archive Question

cs121dt@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (04/12/90)

Okay, I have two questions:
1) I just downloaded SCRNSAV2.ARC.2 from SIMTEL20, and then transferred it to
my machine.  It's an HP Vectra QS/20, which is a 386 clone.  I have a VGA card,
and DOS 3.3.  When I unARChive it, it's fine.  I run SCRNSAV2.COM, and it
seems to load perfectly.  (No error messages)  The only problem is, it never
blanks my screen!  It seems to do nothing.  I figured that if it wouldn't
work, my system would freeze.  Nope.  So what's wrong?

2) I also got SHEZ54.ZIP, which should be some archive utilities, right?  My
PKUNZIP says Warning!  I don't know what to do with *.* .  That is, it gives
me this message for every file in the archive, and doesn't unZIP anything.
Do I need a new PKUNZIP?

Okay, a third bonus question:
3) My system (see above) has 1 meg RAM.  I do not have Windows 386.  It seems
like I'm really only getting about 640 (700 tops)K of that meg usable.  Is
there anything I can do about this?

Thanks for all the help, post or email is fine

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| WARNING: Intentional misuse by deliberately con-  | Mike Stangel            |
| centrating and inhaling the contents of this note | cs121dt@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu|
| can be harmful or fatal.  Non-flammable.          | mas35638@uxa.cso...     |

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (04/13/90)

In article <17100038@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs121dt@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
$2) I also got SHEZ54.ZIP, which should be some archive utilities, right?  My
$PKUNZIP says Warning!  I don't know what to do with *.* .  That is, it gives
$me this message for every file in the archive, and doesn't unZIP anything.
$Do I need a new PKUNZIP?

   Well, PKZIP will tell you what version you need to unZIP a given archive.
The option you use is -vt; it produces a large amount of information (about
ten lines per file in the archive), one of which is the version of PKUNZIP
required to unZIP the file.  PKUNZIP V1.xx will unZIP any ZIP I've seen.  If
you're still using V0.92, you should get yourself a copy of V1.10 (I think
the export version is available on Simtel20 in the pd1:<msdos.zip> directory).
PKZIP V1.10 compresses faster and better than V0.92, and almost all ZIPs
these days require V1.xx to unzip them.

   One caveat:  PKZIP V0.92 thinks it's V1.0 for some reason, so you
will have to look at the compression methods used.  If it says "Reduced-n"
where n is 1, 2, 3 or 4, it was created with a version prior to 1.0; if it
says "Imploded",  it was created with 1.xx.

$Okay, a third bonus question:
$3) My system (see above) has 1 meg RAM.  I do not have Windows 386.  It seems
$like I'm really only getting about 640 (700 tops)K of that meg usable.  Is
$there anything I can do about this?

   I assume you have a 386 since you specifically mention Windows 386.  Grab
a copy of one of the extended-to-expanded memory mappers (there are many
available on the market for quite reasonable prices - QEMM and 386^Max, just
to name two) so that you can use the 384K you currently don't get access to
as expanded memory (i.e. LIM EMS).  The only time when this won't work is
if your board is using the other 384K to shadow video and BIOS ROMs, in
which case it's being used to increase the system's performance.  You should
be able to disable this and use the RAM yourself, but you'll pay a penalty
in the form of a slower system.

   On a related note:  Does anyone know why AboveDisc doesn't work with
PCTools PC-Cache?

--
               More half-baked ideas from the oven of:
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (04/13/90)

> Nf-ID: #N:ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:17100038:000:1397
> Nf-From: ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!cs121dt    Apr 11 12:46:00 1990

> Okay, I have two questions:
> 1) I just downloaded SCRNSAV2.ARC.2 from SIMTEL20, and then transferred it to
> my machine.  It's an HP Vectra QS/20, which is a 386 clone.  I have a VGA card,
> and DOS 3.3.  When I unARChive it, it's fine.  I run SCRNSAV2.COM, and it
> seems to load perfectly.  (No error messages)  The only problem is, it never
> blanks my screen!  It seems to do nothing.  I figured that if it wouldn't
> work, my system would freeze.  Nope.  So what's wrong?

Sorry, don't know much about this. Anyone else??

> 2) I also got SHEZ54.ZIP, which should be some archive utilities, right?  My
> PKUNZIP says Warning!  I don't know what to do with *.* .  That is, it gives
> me this message for every file in the archive, and doesn't unZIP anything.
> Do I need a new PKUNZIP?

  SHEZ is not an archive program by itself. It is a shell program for people
who don't like dealing with command line options. SHEZ lets you view
and use archived files from a number of programs, PKZIP, ARC, PKARC, PAK,
and LZH. You need the archive programs themselves in order for this to work.
  You have to run the SHEZCFG program to configure SHEZ to work. It is all
explained in the documentation. It is also a DOS shell, sort-of.

> Okay, a third bonus question:
> 3) My system (see above) has 1 meg RAM.  I do not have Windows 386.  It seems
> like I'm really only getting about 640 (700 tops)K of that meg usable.  Is
> there anything I can do about this?

  DOS can only access 640K for programs. The rest is for your video adapter
and ROM BIOS. There's nothing unless you want to buy an extended memory
manager, but that's a whole new long subject altogether.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu