[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PKZ110EU.EXE - Katz's ZIP archive package v1.10, export vers.

"Arnold G. Gill" <GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (04/07/90)

In article <119@demott.COM>, kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) says:

>In article <9456.261a444f@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers
>re-write -- not write!) writes:
>>Is this version fully compatible with the regular version?  Can I unZIP using
>>this program a file which was ZIPped by the regular version?
>
>    Yes. Yes (unless, of course, it was encrypted).

     I would answer, "No!", because there is a possibility at any time of
getting non-compatible files without realizing it.  The European distribution
is essentially an example of crippled software, in this case due to stupid US
laws, which don't apply anywhere else in the world anyway.  I would suggest
that your scour around for the proper version, dump the crippled one, and post
it prominently somewhere in Europe/Australia/Canada/Asia, and damn the US
Net-Police.

     The only way to get a law changed is to show all how stupid it is, to
flagrantly violate it, and let them drag your ass in court and get it tossed
out.
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (04/10/90)

In article <90097.005423GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET> GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:
>In article <119@demott.COM>, kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) says:
>>
>>In article <9456.261a444f@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers
>>re-write -- not write!) writes:
>>>Is this version fully compatible with the regular version?  Can I unZIP using
>>>this program a file which was ZIPped by the regular version?
>>
>>    Yes. Yes (unless, of course, it was encrypted).
>>
>     I would answer, "No!", because there is a possibility at any time of
>getting non-compatible files without realizing it.  The European distribution
>is essentially an example of crippled software, in this case due to stupid US
>laws, which don't apply anywhere else in the world anyway.  I would suggest
>that your scour around for the proper version, dump the crippled one, and post
>it prominently somewhere in Europe/Australia/Canada/Asia, and damn the US
>Net-Police.
>
>     The only way to get a law changed is to show all how stupid it is, to
>flagrantly violate it, and let them drag your ass in court and get it tossed
>out.
>-------
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
>|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |

Get Real, of course the law is stupid, nobody disagrees with that.
However, your assertion that pkz110 export version is crippleware is
rediculous.  The only way you wouldn't be able to view a zip with the
European version is if the zip is password protected, in which case
you're probably not supposed to see it anyhow.

Either violate the law, which doesn't bother me one bit, or get the
export version.  Just stop talking about this insane topic.  All you
net crybabies are driving me crazy with this stupid concern that your
precious terminals will be confiscated if you accidently export a
shareware program.

Brian

d88-cwe@nada.kth.se (Christian Wettergren) (04/10/90)

OK!

So you all folks.

I have one copy. I got it illegally. OK! I'm not doing any bad!
If USA can't enforce their laws, then why not break them...
(It's a stupid law !!!)

I can't get sued because of it anyway!

Let's stop debating this now, OK ?

"Computer Science is not about computers, any more than astronomy is about
 telescopes" - Edsgar Dijkstra (*Please tell me the right spelling ?)
Christian Wettergren, d88-cwe@nada.kth.se, 08 - 36 96 92

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr9.214922.13665@kth.se> d88-cwe@nada.kth.se (Christian Wettergren) writes:
>OK!
>
>So you all folks.
>
>I have one copy. I got it illegally. OK! I'm not doing any bad!
>If USA can't enforce their laws, then why not break them...

And, if you can manage to sneak into the USA, break into someone's house, and
steal his stereo & television:  why not!  After all, the USA probably will
not catch you, so it must be OK.  I'm sooooo sick of reading "the law can't
be enforced, therefore it's stupid."

Seriously, people.  I don't care how stupid the law is, get a copy of this
program however you can, and let's drop the subject, eh?

Scott D. Coulter        Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: {most anywhere}!gatech!kong!scott         Internet: scott@kong.gatech.edu
"Sometimes I just sit back & close my eyes; I enjoy the view"--Michael W. Smith

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr9.204732.9188@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
> Get Real, of course the law is stupid, nobody disagrees with that.

  I'd rather get imaginary. And stupid or not, it IS a law (echo occurs below)

> However, your assertion that pkz110 export version is crippleware is
> rediculous.  The only way you wouldn't be able to view a zip with the
> European version is if the zip is password protected, in which case
> you're probably not supposed to see it anyhow.

  Full agreement here. For those that DON'T know, crippleware is
provided to the user with only PARTIAL implimentation. Payment of a
Sharware fee or, in some cases, filing warranty info with the mfr, will
provide you with info on how to fully impliment all features. PKZip 1.10
is certainly complete for the intended markets for each version. Don't
tell Phil you think it's crippleware. He might get upset.

> Either violate the law, which doesn't bother me one bit,

  Bet you speed all the time too. Right or wrong, stupid or not, it's a LAW!

> or get the
> export version.  Just stop talking about this insane topic.  All you
> net crybabies are driving me crazy with this stupid concern that your
> precious terminals will be confiscated if you accidently export a
> shareware program.

So? The pixies came in the night and swiped your N key? The subject line
has remained fairly constant throughout this thread. You don't HAVE to
read these discussions.... that is, unless you like to bitch. As for
people worrying about having their 'puters confiscated, it's a valid
worry. Some of Uncle's employees take a dim view of having Federal laws
violated. Complete systems have been confiscated for less. I know it's
not right, but would you rather be cautious or have a hole where your
computer used to be?

The attitude you showed in the message I have included here leads me to
believe you will probably jack up the pressure in your Acme Low-soot
Flamethrower (patent-pending) and unleash a barrage in my general
direction so feel free but spare everyone in c.s.i.p. and shoot towards
alt.flame (where I don't read) or confine it to email (where I have been
known to delete messages if I don't like your name).

> Brian

Not a bad name. Maybe you'll get lucky.

      *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:----: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. :----]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
:   uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave   :   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :