[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Low level format for PS/2 disks

720323w@aucs.uucp (Bill Wilder) (04/11/90)

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 70. If the day should arrive when I have to
perform a low-level format of my hard disk will this be possible using the
supplied reference disk. It contains a file "LLFORMAT.COM" but it does not
appear to run properly (at least when DOS 4.01 is booted).

Thanks very much

TIM@MTUS5.BITNET (Timothy R Prodin) (04/12/90)

The best way to low level format the disk is the following:

boot off the "Reference Disk"
at the main menu prompt, hit <ctrl-a> or <alt-a> /* i forget which */
then select "prepare disk for DOS"

There are some other goodies on this sub-menu also, namely the disk cache
installation.

-T.

                  "Uh Oh, Looks like Rain!!"

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr11.111819.28254@aucs.uucp>, 720323w@aucs.uucp (Bill Wilder)
writes:
> I have an IBM PS/2 Model 70. If the day should arrive when I have to
> perform a low-level format of my hard disk will this be possible using the
> supplied reference disk. It contains a file "LLFORMAT.COM" but it does not
> appear to run properly (at least when DOS 4.01 is booted).

You caught on to the fact that the code to perform the low-level format is on
your reference disk.  What you must do is access the Advanced menu by pressing
Ctrl-A after booting the reference disk.  I don't think reference disk
utilities work properly when booting from DOS.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (HD7X@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)