[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Disassembler

TTH102@psuvm.psu.edu (Thomas Hand) (04/12/90)

We are in need of good disassembler.
The only one we have, besides debug, is dis86 which only covers the 8086
instruction set.
Can anymone show me where I can get one that covers atleast 186 instruction
set? Or better yet, one that covers 286.

Thanks to whoever...

Thomas Hand  (TTH102@PSUVM)

rick@NRC.COM (Rick Wagner) (04/13/90)

In article <90101.195611TTH102@psuvm.psu.edu> TTH102@psuvm.psu.edu (Thomas Hand) writes:
>We are in need of good disassembler.
>The only one we have, besides debug, is dis86 which only covers the 8086
>instruction set.
>Can anymone show me where I can get one that covers atleast 186 instruction
>set? Or better yet, one that covers 286.
>
>Thanks to whoever...
>
>Thomas Hand  (TTH102@PSUVM)

I have used Sourcer, by V Communications.  Supports '86 -> '486 cpus,
'87 instructions, and can disassemble from .com, .exe, or from memory
(RAM or BIOS).  You can also get a BIOS preprocessor for disassebling
your ROM BIOSes.

It is a multi-pass disassembler, and can generate a cross reference
listing of location uses.  It outputs a masm type .lst or a masm
compatable .asm file.  It also produces a symbol file, which you can
edit to use your own descriptive labels, or add comments to the
disassembled code.  You can then run the utility again, using your
updated symbol file, and your symbols will be included in the source
listing.

I am not associated with V Communications, just satisfied with their
product.

	--rick

Rick Wagner						Network Research Corp.
rick@nrc.com						2380 North Rose Ave.
(805) 485-2700	FAX: (805) 485-8204			Oxnard, CA 93030
Don't hate yourself in the morning; sleep 'til noon.

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/13/90)

(Thomas Hand) writes:
> We are in need of good disassembler.
> The only one we have, besides debug, is dis86 which only covers the 8086
> instruction set.
> Can anymone show me where I can get one that covers atleast 186 instruction
> set? Or better yet, one that covers 286.

Try Sourcer from V Communications.  I don't have their number with me right
now, but it does support the 286 instruction set.  You can usually find them in
the classified ads in the back of PC Magazine.

-Sanjay Aiyagari (HD7X@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)