[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Book for RS-232 Needed

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (04/12/90)

I need to implement RS-232 communications completely in software.  I think
this restriction is being placed on me only to torture me.  I am not allowed
to use a UART, I simply need to generate the parity bits, handshaking, etc.
and send them all out to a port (on the 8086).

If anyone knows of a good book on the subject, please e-mail me.

Thanks,
Neil

               _____          _____       ------------------------------------
 \            /     \        /    /      Neil Weisenfeld
  \          /       \      /    /      Computer Science and Engineering
   \        /    /\   \    /    /      Unviersity of Pennsylvania
    \      /    /  \   \  /    /      --------------------------------------
     \    /    /    \   \/    /      InterNet:  weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
      \  /    /      \       /      USPS:  3700 Spruce St. Box 572
       \/____/        \_____/             Philadelphia, PA  19104
                                  --------------------------------------

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/14/90)

In article <23126@netnews.upenn.edu>, weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
> I need to implement RS-232 communications completely in software.  I think
> this restriction is being placed on me only to torture me.  I am not allowed
> to use a UART, I simply need to generate the parity bits, handshaking, etc.
> and send them all out to a port (on the 8086).

I don't know what sort of port you are going to talk to but RS-232
specifies a lot of characteristics of an electrical interface.  For
example, the voltage levels are between +5 and +25V for a space and
between -5 and -25V for a mark condition on the line.  Also, there are
limits on the rise time (25V/microsecond maximum slew rate).  So, you need
some sort of hardware that can deal with this.

As far as assembling the bits, it is start bit first, LSB, ..., MSB,
parity, stop bit.

> If anyone knows of a good book on the subject, please e-mail me.

We (SSC) is just finishing up a card on RS-232.
It will tell you what the signals are, what pins they go on, where the
bits goes and such.  It won't tell you how to get +25V and -25V out
of a TTL port however. Good luck.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385