[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Installing 3.5" 1.44M floppy drive in XT clone.

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (04/10/90)

Last week I bought a new floppy disk controller and a 3.5" 1.44Meg
drive for my XT clone.  The installation was fairly simple but I ran
into a problem.  The controller documentation (SYSGEN Omni-Bridge)
was excellent and provided a lot of info on drives in general but it
lacked one significant point.

When I installed the new drive, I wanted it to be the A: drive so I
removed my old A: drive, left the old B: drive in place, and installed
the new 1.44M drive as A:.  When I booted the system, the new A: worked
fine but the old B: kept giving me a "not ready" error.  The SYSGEN
manual talked about cable terminators (terminating resistors) and said
that, when mixing a 5.25 and 3.5 inch drives, the terminator should be
in the 5.25 no matter whether it is first or second on the controller
cable.

When I put the terminator in, neither drive worked.  After messing with
different things and re-checking all jumper and switch settings I decided
to switch the drives around (let the 5.25" be A: and the 3.5" be B:).
When I did this, everything worked fine but only if I left the terminator
out completely.

Can anyone explain what was going on here.  It all works now, but I'd
like to understand it so I won't make the same mistake the next time.

Thanks,

JB

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/14/90)

In article <7946@inco.UUCP> jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) writes:

[If this isn't in the Frequently Asked Questions file it should be]

>When I installed [a] new [diskette] drive, I wanted it to be the A: drive so
>I removed my old A: drive, left the old B: drive in place, and installed
>the new 1.44M drive as A:.  When I booted the system, the new A: worked
>fine but the old B: kept giving me a "not ready" error.

When installing a high-density 5-1/4" diskette drive, or a 3-1/2" drive, in
a system with a low-density (360kbyte) 5-1/4" diskette drive, pin 34 of the
low-density 5-1/4" diskette drive must be disconnected from the controller
cable.  Some drives have a jumper (sometimes a soldered-in wire) which can
be removed to accomplish this.  I've achieved the desired result by merely
putting a small sliver of Scotch Brand (tm 3M :-) Transparent Adhesive Tape
on the edge card connector, covering the metallic contact for "pin" 34.

kEITHe
/