[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary of PC Debuggers

ying@hubcap.clemson.edu (Ying Xie) (04/08/90)

Ever since I posted a request for information about debuggers for
IBM PC, I have received numerous reponses, several emails per day.
I regret that I am not able to respond to all of you that kindly
provided very help information to me. Thank you all very, very
much.

Although responses are enormous, all agreed that:
	1. Unix dbx is a toy compared to PC debuggers;
	2. Turbo Debugger by Borland and CodeView by Microsoft
	   are the best.
Some argued that Turbo Debugger is even better. One netter said
Periscope is also a very good choice.

Certainly, many netters provided far more detailed information
than this extremely short summary. I will be glad to share the
information I gathered to whoever is interested in.

Again, thank all of the those who have sent me information about PC
debuggers. I have found it very helpful.

Ying Xie
Department of Computer Science
Clemson University

ying@hubcap.clemson.edu
--
Ying Xie
ying@hubcap.clemson.edu

mike@minster.york.ac.uk (04/12/90)

> Although responses are enormous, all agreed that:
>   Unix dbx is a toy compared to PC debuggers;
> 2. Turbo Debugger by Borland and CodeView by Microsoft
>   are the best.
> Some argued that Turbo Debugger is even better. One netter said
> Periscope is also a very good choice.

If UNIX dbx is a toy compared to the PC debuggers, and hence by
implication the TurboC debugger, how do i do the equivalent of:

stop in my_func when my_func`var1->v_field->n_val >= main`var2.field1

and

when in my_func { print *my_func`var1->v_field ; set my_func`var1->v_val = 27 ; }

Or is the objection that dbx only uses two colours :-)
?????
mike richardson

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (04/14/90)

In article <639911608.5585@minster.york.ac.uk> mike@minster.york.ac.uk writes:
>> Although responses are enormous, all agreed that:
>>   Unix dbx is a toy compared to PC debuggers;
>> 2. Turbo Debugger by Borland and CodeView by Microsoft
>>   are the best.
>> Some argued that Turbo Debugger is even better. One netter said
>> Periscope is also a very good choice.
>
>If UNIX dbx is a toy compared to the PC debuggers, and hence by
>implication the TurboC debugger, how do i do the equivalent of:
>
>stop in my_func when my_func`var1->v_field->n_val >= main`var2.field1
>
>and
>
>when in my_func { print *my_func`var1->v_field ; set my_func`var1->v_val = 27 ; }
>
>Or is the objection that dbx only uses two colours :-)
>?????
>mike richardson

It's easy to set a watchpoint in Quick C.  The above statement would be
no problem.  I'm not so sure about Turbo C...I never did figure out how to
do that stuff in dbx.

Brian

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (04/14/90)

In article <639911608.5585@minster.york.ac.uk> mike@minster.york.ac.uk writes:

>If UNIX dbx is a toy compared to the PC debuggers, and hence by
>implication the TurboC debugger, how do i do the equivalent of:

The claim was that dbx is not as good as the Turbo Debugger, not the little
debugger built in to the TC compiler/editor.  Both of your challenges are easy
enough in TD:

>stop in my_func when my_func`var1->v_field->n_val >= main`var2.field1

Set a breakpoint at one point (or several) of my_func, which stops on the
given condition.

>when in my_func { print *my_func`var1->v_field ; set my_func`var1->v_val = 27 ; }

I don't understand what this one does:  does it print only on entry?  If so,
just set a breakpoint at the beginning of my_func with the action being to
log (or print, if you really want) the value of v_field, and another with
the action being to change the value of v_val.  By the way, you probably
wouldn't want to do the print:  you can watch the value of v_field
continuously.

Duncan Murdoch