[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Trying to format a hard disk.

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (04/14/90)

In article <fgv6unx@unify.uucp> mason@unify.UUCP (Mark Mason) writes:

>I have been trying to (low-level) format a hard disk on my XT with no
>luck at all.
>
>I have a IBM XT (true blue), with a hard disk controller which only
>says "IBM 1816101" on it (has cables for 2 hard disks).

I don't think those old Xebec controllers have any format routines on
them.  I used the low-level formatter that came with ITT's Dos 2.11
(I know...)  I would assume something like Disk Manager or SpeedStor
would also work.  Be careful about mixing sized of disks on that
card - I seem to recall that it wants both to have the same geometry.
Back up your 10 meg disk jut in case.  It may be cheaper to just toss
the controller and pick up a WD controller for around $30.

>mason
>pyramid!unify!mason
>{{ucdavis,csun,lll-crg}!csusac,pyramid,sequent}!unify!mason

/mike

\|/ Michael L. Ardai     ardai@bu-pub.bu.edu
/|\ ...!sun!teda!maven.dnet!ardai (preferred)