[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Switch boxes on HP laser printers?

scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) (04/11/90)

    I recently hooked up a HP IIP Laser printer to a mechanical switch
box.  Everything seems to work fine but I had someone tell me that HP
voids the warranty since it is connected to a mechanical switchbox if
 the printer breaks?

    If this is true, would the problem be resolved by turning the print-
er off before switching the box and then power it back up.  Will this
protect the printer?

    Is this true for all HP laser printers?

Please post any responses or email.
		   Thanks

mquigley@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Martyn Quigley, Education, Memorial University of Newfoundland) (04/13/90)

In article <1528@nems.dt.navy.mil>, scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) writes:
>     I recently hooked up a HP IIP Laser printer to a mechanical switch
> box.  Everything seems to work fine but I had someone tell me that HP
> voids the warranty since it is connected to a mechanical switchbox if
>  the printer breaks?

I've done this too, and yes HP specifically excludes "Operating the
printer from a mechanical switchbox that does not include a surge
protector." from its warranty (page F-4).  However, on the grounds
that you can remove a font cartridge by taking the thing off-line, I
reasoned it was OK to use a mechanical switch when the printer was
off-line.  I've had no problems - so far.

Martyn

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (04/14/90)

In article <1528@nems.dt.navy.mil>, scherer@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Scherer) writes:

>     I recently hooked up a HP IIP Laser printer to a mechanical switch
> box.  Everything seems to work fine but I had someone tell me that HP
> voids the warranty since it is connected to a mechanical switchbox if
>  the printer breaks?
>
>     If this is true, would the problem be resolved by turning the print-
> er off before switching the box and then power it back up.  Will this
> protect the printer?

    I never did figure out exactly why HP cautioned against manual switching
  but it probably has something to do with the spike subseptability of the
  interface. I'm sure if you power off the printer you should be safe to
  turn a manual switch.

    I went the other route and picked up an inexpensive 4-port auto
  switch from CompuAdd. This switch constantly scans the four inputs and
  then locks when a print request comes up. This way you needed worry
  where you leave the switch positioned and can send files from either
  computer at your leasure. I beleive the switch ran in the $70 range.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net