[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM 8513 monitor

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (10/21/89)

  I have an IBM PS/2 color monitor (model 8513-001).  The
monitor is about two years old and the power supply went bad.
The computer store seemed to indicate that this was a common
problem with the 8513 (they knew what the problem was right
away, and they knew about how much to fix it without looking,
and I only had to wait two days for them to get a monitor in
which was being repaired for the same problem so that they
could swap me for mine).  This repair cost about $260 + tax
and, for a college student, that is a hard-hitting amount of
money.
  What I want to know is:  What can I do to prevent this from
happening again as I can not afford that kind of expense every
two years or so...

  The monitor that mine was swapped for also exhibits that
sparking and split-second-screen-blanking characteristic which
someone else mentioned on this board, and it doesn't matter
what software package is running.  My previous monitor did not
exhibit this.

                                               -Eric Kirkbride-
                                                Carnegie Mellon
Disclaimer: MINE!  ALL, MINE!

"I have a firm belief that all computers are the children of
Satan...", Shannon Cline

teece@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (teece) (04/05/90)

Forgive me if this has been discussed before... I haven't looked at this
group for awhile. (Is there a more appropriate news group for a hardware
question?)

Has anyone got all the answers to the dying IBM 8513 monitor problem? The
most common failure is the bright horizontal line (no vertical) which IBM
suggested was a failing diode in the power supply, but this doesn't appear
to be the case in the ones I looked into. Another less common failure mode
is the single colour screen (eg. green) and I doubt that two colours both
die at the same time leaving one of the main colours working.

I have traced out the power supply circuit, but lost enthusiasm when it came
to tracing out the main board!

Finally, if the failing parts can be identified, have you had luck in finding
an equivalent replacement part somewhere? (IBM sure won't sell them!)

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (04/08/90)

My 8513 suffered the bright horizontal line problem, so I called IBM,
and they said there is a recall out on the monitor if it is within a
certain range of srial numbers (which mine was in).  I don't remember
the serial numbers.  You might try giving IBM a call.  The problem is
definitely in the power supply (I had it fixed at my expense once,
before calling IBM).  Good luck.

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu                              -Eric Kirkbride-
Is death a part of life?  Or is life a part of death?
Disclaimer:  These are only my opinions, etc...

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/14/90)

In article <1006@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP>, teece@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (teece) writes:
> Has anyone got all the answers to the dying IBM 8513 monitor
> problem? The most common failure is the bright horizontal line (no
> vertical) which IBM suggested was a failing diode in the power
> supply

We've seen that one on two out of two 8513's we had in our department.
MTTF was < 2 years.

> Finally, if the failing parts can be identified, have you had luck
> in finding an equivalent replacement part somewhere? (IBM sure won't
> sell them!)

The replacement part we installed was a NEC monitor.-)  I think it
turned out to be cheaper than another couple of service calls.  I also
turn mine off every night.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.