[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for a good disk cacher

a523@mindlink.UUCP (Frank Murray) (04/12/90)

> scholes@snoopy.Colorado.EDU writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <19649@boulder.Colorado.EDU>
>
> Org.  : University of Colorado, Boulder
> Person: SCHOLES MARTIN LEE
>

>   I apologize if this question has appeared before, but...  I'm searching for
> a good disk cacher (or at least one that works on my 386).  I've tried many,
> discache, cache2, qcache, lightning, smartdrv, etc, etc.  Some choke because
> I run QEMM, some choke because they don't like my Mscribe 3085 (>1024 cyls),
> and some just choke for no apparent reason.  Smartdrv was way at the top of
> my list of caching greats, but it doesn't deal to well with the 3085. Does
> anyone know of a cacher that doesn't suffer from the above ailments, is fast,
> and can use LIM or ext memory (I don't care which)?  Any help in steering me
> in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
>                                    Thanx in advance,
>                                        scholes@snoopy.colorado.edu

I have been using PC-Cache (Part of PC-Tools Version 5.5) on my 386.   I am
also using QEMM (I have 5 megs of RAM).  I believe that PC-Cache is a reduced
version of another product called KWIK-CACHE. <----I could be wrong with the
name.  This seems to work well on my system.

Frank Murray
@MindLink#523

scholes@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (SCHOLES MARTIN LEE) (04/13/90)

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (04/13/90)

>   I apologize if this question has appeared before, but...  I'm searching for
> a good disk cacher (or at least one that works on my 386).  I've tried many,

  The best that I've heard about, which has also been lauded by PC Magazine
among others, is the PC Kwik Power-Pak from Multisoft. It include the disk
cache, which has reported no incompatibilities among major PC programs, a
print spooler, keyboard speedup, video speedup, and other DOS goodies.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (04/14/90)

>  The best that I've heard about, which has also been lauded by PC Magazine
>among others, is the PC Kwik Power-Pak from Multisoft. It include the disk
>cache, which has reported no incompatibilities among major PC programs, a
>print spooler, keyboard speedup, video speedup, and other DOS goodies.

  While PC-Kwik is very fast, I have tended to have an "above" normal
  amount of "freeze-ups" using it under WINDOWS 3.11/286.  On both
  a Packard Bell and an ALR machine.  Since most of my work is under
  Windows, I gave up and just use SMARTdrive.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (04/14/90)

>>  The best that I've heard about, which has also been lauded by PC Magazine
>>among others, is the PC Kwik Power-Pak from Multisoft. It include the disk
>>cache, which has reported no incompatibilities among major PC programs, a
>>print spooler, keyboard speedup, video speedup, and other DOS goodies.

PC TOOLS DELUXE v. 5.5 has PC-CACHE which is a subset of PC Kwik.
Beside my recommendation -- a long use with no problem so far on both
286 and 386 machines, it is also highly praised by people at Quarterdeck
(I talked to them discussing some problems with DESQview), a couple of
other software houses, and PC Mag.

---
Leo Simon	simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com
		--or-- ...!pwrvax!hpstek.enet.dec.com!simon
		--or-- simon%pwrvax.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, doesn't have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, doesn't have a brain.

MICHELBI@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann) (04/14/90)

In article <EGGBERT.90Apr13120058@bucsf.bu.edu>, eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) writes:

>   The best that I've heard about, which has also been lauded by PC Magazine
> among others, is the PC Kwik Power-Pak from Multisoft. It include the disk

It should be noted that a subset of PC Kwik Power-Pak is included as part of
PC Tools Deluxe 5.x.  I do not know if Central Point Software has included
it with the recent version 6.0

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (04/14/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Looking for a good disk cacher
 I apologize if this question has appeared before, but...  I'm searching for
a good disk cacher (or at least one that works on my 386).  I've tried many,
discache, cache2, qcache, lightning, smartdrv, etc, etc.  Some choke because
I run QEMM, some choke because they don't like my Mscribe 3085 (>1024 cyls),
and some just choke for no apparent reason.  Smartdrv was way at the top of
my list of caching greats, but it doesn't deal to well with the 3085.  Does
anyone know of a cacher that doesn't suffer from the above ailments, is fast,
and can use LIM or ext memory (I don't care which)?  Any help in steering me
in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
                                   Thanx in advance,
                                       scholes@snoopy.colorado.edu

I tried both smartdrv and multisoft's pckwik cache, pckwik has some nice features that caches disk write in addition to disk read access. I think it is similiar in concept to OS/2 HPFS's lazy write feature. For standalone applications that does lots of ra
ndom access to disk, pckwik is the very good, much better than smartdrv. But the write cache feature of pckwik automatically turns off when DV/QEMM is present. When I ran DV386 with pckwik the result is about the same ( or a bit slower) than smartdrv. Act
ua
lly smartdrv is faster for a cache hit situation. BTW I still uses smartdrv.sys loaded into high ram by qemm for both of my hard disk , one is 110MB toshiba with  830 cylinders and a second one microscienc 120MB with 1314 cylinders; also dmdrvr.bin is als
o loaded into high ram.

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/15/90)

>>   I apologize if this question has appeared before, but...  I'm searching for
>> a good disk cacher (or at least one that works on my 386).  I've tried many,
>
>   The best that I've heard about, which has also been lauded by PC Magazine
> among others, is the PC Kwik Power-Pak from Multisoft. It include the disk
> cache, which has reported no incompatibilities among major PC programs, a
> print spooler, keyboard speedup, video speedup, and other DOS goodies.
>
> --

I used to use PC-Kwik myself until I realized that Microsoft Windows 386
own SMARTDRV.SYS seems to do a better job.  Running CORETEST on both programs
show that SMARTDRV.SYS outclassed PC-KWIK.  Might be my imagination but
it sure works good...  Plus, it works with Windows 386 so I have nothing
to complain about!

Bobby Li