[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Drive Sticking on powerup?

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/02/90)

In article <2623@pink2.UUCP> hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) writes:
>		<text deleted>
>A friend told me that drives with a built-in park on powerdown feature
>(which mine has) sometimes stick on powerup.  Is this true?  If so,
>is it a problem I should have serviced while the system is still
>under warranty?

I had a Seagate ST4051 (full height 40ms, 40MB) disk that started sticking
about a year ago ... it got progressively worse ... now the only way I can
start it is by "kick-starting it" (manual spinning of the spindle ... if I
could find the solenoid that applied the "brake", then I would disable it
... but as it is now, the disk is useless.

I have seen this happen on 7 other Seagate drives (not sure of the model
numbers) ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr