[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Aaaiiigggghhh! ftp

sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) (05/02/90)

in article <1990Apr30.101109.15741@druid.uucp>, darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) says:

> In article <1267@thor.wright.EDU> sdawalt@wright.EDU (Shane Dawalt) writes:
>> [...]
>>and transferred it via kermit to my PC.  No go.  Seems kermit doesn't
>>transfer binaries reliabily regardless whether the -i switch is used or not.
>
> I see this complaint a lot but have never had the problem myself.  For all
> those who have this problem I hope I'm not belabouring the obvious here but
> the -i option must be used on the Unix side.
>
> (rest deleted)

  Someone here dropped me an email identifying the problem of trashed binary
kermit transfers being the parity setting of the unix system.  I normally talk
with 8N1.  Setting parity to SPACE and using the -i switch in unix kermit
allows trouble free binary data transmission.  I had never considered this
problem.  Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten the name of the person who
emailed me.  Sure beats uuencoding/uudecoding all the files!

  Shane();