[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Two Questions.

azk@ece-csc.UUCP (Anwer Kotob) (12/18/87)

Hi, I have two questions that I hope some of you might help me with.

1: Is there a way to disable the C drive (short of opening the cover and
   physically disconnecting it)? Ideally, I would like to disable all writes
   to the C drive, but disabling the C drive alltogether (reads and writes)
   would do.

2: Does anyone know of any BLISS compilers/interpreters for the PC?
   (I don't know much about BLISS, only that it is supposed to have
   some very powerful macro capabilities).

Thanks.
-Anwer.

jtn3@bsu-cs.UUCP (Jim Nelson) (12/24/87)

In article <3429@ece-csc.UUCP>, azk@ece-csc.UUCP (Anwer Kotob) writes:

> 1: Is there a way to disable the C drive (short of opening the cover and
>    physically disconnecting it)? Ideally, I would like to disable all writes
>    to the C drive, but disabling the C drive alltogether (reads and writes)
>    would do.

Well, at least in version 3.2 (only one I've used to any extent)
of DOS, there is a program called "bootf" that disables the C:
drive and boots from floppy.

> Thanks.
> -Anwer.

Jim Nelson		UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!jtn3

hadden@srcsip.UUCP (George D. Hadden) (05/24/88)

hi,

1) i just got proff from simtel20, dearced it and ran the program on
the manual using the command suggested in README.  the program typed a
sort of upside-down "j", sat for a while and rebooted my machine (a
toshiba 1100+ -- super pc compatible -- runs flight simulator ...).
does anyone have any idea what's wrong here.

2) i also downloaded a couple of files with a ".lbr" extension.  how
do i deal with these?  pkxarc doesn't want to have anything to do with
them.

thanks in advance for your help.

-geo

---
George D. Hadden, Honeywell Systems and Research Center
PHONE:  (612)782-7769
MAIL:   3660 Technology Drive MN65-2100 Minneapolis, MN 55418
ARPA:   hadden@src.honeywell.com
UUCP:   {ihnp4, philabs, umn-cs, ems}!srcsip!hadden

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/26/88)

In article <4238@altura.srcsip.UUCP> hadden@srcsip.UUCP (George D. Hadden) writes:
...2) i also downloaded a couple of files with a ".lbr" extension.  how
...do i deal with these?  pkxarc doesn't want to have anything to do with
...them.

LBR (i.e., library) files predate ARC and ZOO by a good number of years.
 You need one of the LU family of programs (by Gary Novosielski and/or
Paul Homchick) to extract the individual files from the library.

Funny you should mention thses at this time: I just deleted all my LU
files from my HD this past weekend after not having seen anew LBR file
in years!  But, if you can't find it anywhere, let me know, and I'll yry
to dig one out of a floppy -- somewhere!

trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) (05/27/88)

I ran proff  on a compaq plus and got either a floating point or divide error.
It ran fine on my AT clone.  Clues, the compaq has dos 3.1 and the AT has
dos 3.3.  A while back sombody posted something about this type of error and
dos the stack setting.  I really don't remember much though.
--
Terry Raymond
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x5597

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) (03/15/89)

Hello, all.  I just got a Wyse PC286 Model 2108 w/512K RAM, and I
want to add some more memory to the machine.  The existing 512K is
on the motherboard in 16 256K-bit chips, with slots for 16 more,
bringing the total to 1MB.  But looking over the recent memory
discussion, it seems that only 640K RAM total will be useable.  The
owner's manual seems to say that the whole 16 slots must be filled
to use memory above 512K, and paying around $200 for 16 chips, and
actually getting only 128K extra RAM seems like a waste.  Any suggestions?

Question 2.  I've got about $650 burning a hole in my pocket (yeah,
right :-).  I want to get a color graphics combo.  It seems that for
$650 I can get either a low-end VGA combo, or a high-end EGA combo.
Which would be better?  Any help would be really appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
          JJS

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (03/17/89)

1)  You can use the 384 K above the base 640 K as extended
memory.  This is normally accessed with either a virtual disk
probgram or else some disk cacheing program such as the one in
PCTools.  I don't know where you buy a ram disk program, but I
think they are cheap or free.

2)  VGA has 420 lines vertically, as opposed to 350 for a EGA.  I
think that the fonts look a lot better.  Of course if the VGA
isn't very good, poor brightness or focus, a good EGA would be
better.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (03/20/89)

In article <11250069@hpldola.HP.COM>, ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) writes:
> 1)  You can use the 384 K above the base 640 K as extended
> memory.  This is normally accessed with either a virtual disk
> probgram or else some disk cacheing program such as the one in
> PCTools.  I don't know where you buy a ram disk program, but I
> think they are cheap or free.

Actually this depends on the machine, though many do operate this way.
Other machines use it for a shadow RAM so the BIOS can run in RAM rather
than in ROM, or place it in strange places so that it can be difficult to
locate.

> 2)  VGA has 420 lines vertically, as opposed to 350 for a EGA.  I
> think that the fonts look a lot better.  Of course if the VGA
> isn't very good, poor brightness or focus, a good EGA would be
> better.

420 appears to be a typo for 480 - the standard VGA is 640 x 480.  You
are right that a good monitor can make a -big- difference in the result.

						Bruce C. Wright

dchun@alcor.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (01/13/90)

From my ftp-ing all over the place, I have two questions:

1) Why is simtel20.arpa dead?
2) How do you un- pack|arc|zip|zoo|scramble a *.Z file? What is a *.Z file
   anyways?

Thanks for any info!
						...dale

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (01/13/90)

In article <7355@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@alcor.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>From my ftp-ing all over the place, I have two questions:
>1) Why is simtel20.arpa dead?

The heating and air conditioning system is broken.  We cannot run the
computer without it.  It's supposed to be fixed late this afternoon.

>2) How do you un- pack|arc|zip|zoo|scramble a *.Z file? What is a *.Z file
>   anyways?

The .Z files are compressed with the Unix-compatible compress program.
Do:  man compress    on your Unix host to see how it works.

Keith

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (01/15/90)

In article <7355@chaph.usc.edu>, dchun@alcor.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
> 2) How do you un- pack|arc|zip|zoo|scramble a *.Z file? What is a *.Z file
>    anyways?
> 						...dale

.Z files have been COMPRESSed.

uncompress was posted somewhere quite recently. It's also 'standard'
on most *NIX machines (I think).

Dave E.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/15/90)

In article <7355@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@alcor.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
$2) How do you un- pack|arc|zip|zoo|scramble a *.Z file? What is a *.Z file
$   anyways?

   *.Z files are produced using compress, and are uncompressed with
uncompress.  There _are_ PC versions of compress (and, presumably
uncompress as well), and most *nix systems should have copies too.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (01/16/90)

Hi !
====

dchun@alcor.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:

>From my ftp-ing all over the place, I have two questions:

>1) Why is simtel20.arpa dead?
>2) How do you un- pack|arc|zip|zoo|scramble a *.Z file? What is a *.Z file
>   anyways?

To 1) Sorry, don't know ...
To 2) A .z - File normally is a *NIX - COMPRESSED - File, crunched
      with the COMPRESS-Utility ... don't know any DOS-Format creating
      .z - Files ... so maybe try to uncrunch it with Unix 'decompress'.

Greetings ... Pat !

-   Human Zombie   ;  SysOp Berlin By Byte (BBB) - Mailbox (MultiUser QNX)  -
- (Patrick  Wendt) ;  030/8541082 & 8544082 - 1,2/2,4 kBaud, 8/N/1, 24h on  -
- Domain: pwendt@neon.UUCP      ; Neon Research Caboose ; Berlin (West) GER -
- Bang .: ...!{pyramid || mcsun}!unido!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!pwendt     -

jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) (05/02/90)

Please inquire any answers to the following questions via email if possible.
I'll post a summary if I get enough responses. I do have ftp access. Thanks
in advance. :-)

Question 1: Using a joystick as a mouse.

Does anyone know of a program that can enable a joystick to mock a mouse? If
so, is it compatable with the Microsoft (TM) mouse driver program?

Question 2: Mocking EGA on HGC.

I have the following setup:

1. Everex Micro Enhancer Deluxe EGA Card Model EV-659(-O1A).

2. Monochrome Monitor (720X350 Resolution) - Amber Color.

I'm trying to find a way to get a Pseudo EGA Resolution. Currently, the
only graphics I can get out of my EGA card is HGC or Hercules. I'm wondering
if it is possible to get the EGA resolution since EGA is only 640X350 pixels
compared to HGC's 720X348 pixels. I realize that I won't have 16 colors
but I would love to find a way to get at least a monochrome EGA resoltion.
Since there are programs like SIMCGA and HGCIBM which can emulate CGA on
HGC, there must be at least some program which can emulate EGA. I have some
games which can only work on EGA and I would love to find a way to run these
games without having to use another machine. I would apreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.

				 - Jeff
 EMAIL: jharper@carina.unm.edu

                                "A stitch in time takes up space.."