[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for utility programs

brian@la.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (05/02/90)

In article <29484@cup.portal.com> rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) writes:
>I am looking for two different utilities.  I need to convert extended memory
>to LIM 4.0 expanded memory on a generic 286 motherboard.  I need a shareware
>or commercial program to do this (reliably!).

PC Magazine published such a utility, makes extended emulate expanded
at the expense of conventional.  You can get this via PC MagNet (pick up
any PC Magazine for access info).

>I also need a program to allow a drive to be partitioned larger than 32Mb
>under DOS 3.3.  I have DOS 4.01, but it has crapped out one too many times
>in critical situations to be acceptable.  Again, either shareware or
>commercial software is acceptable, but it has to be reliable with some
>disk intensive programs (like Pagemaker).

Compaq's 3.31 DOS supports this without any additional device drivers,
I bought a copy for this purpose and run it on an AT Clone at home and
an AST 386 at work... no worries.

brian

         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (05/03/90)

> I am looking for two different utilities.  I need to convert extended memory
> to LIM 4.0 expanded memory on a generic 286 motherboard.  I need a shareware
> or commercial program to do this (reliably!).

  Take a look at QRAM from Quarterdeck. It is a version of QEMM for 286's.
Until June 30, they will also throw in their Manifest program which will
let you see what your memory is doing and suggest ways to improve it.

> I also need a program to allow a drive to be partitioned larger than 32Mb
> under DOS 3.3.  I have DOS 4.01, but it has crapped out one too many times
> in critical situations to be acceptable.  Again, either shareware or
> commercial software is acceptable, but it has to be reliable with some
> disk intensive programs (like Pagemaker).

> Roger Preisendefer

  Ontrack's Disk Manager is very common since it's shipped with all Seagate
drives. There is a full-featured commercial version for all types of drives
but I have also seen copies on numerous BBSes so it may be free/shareware.
However, it will not create a partition greater than 32MB on the boot
partition C:. This may be a DOS limitation, but I'm not sure.
--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/03/90)

In article <EGGBERT.90May2133307@bucsf.bu.edu> eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) writes:

|> I am looking for two different utilities.  I need to convert extended memory
|> to LIM 4.0 expanded memory on a generic 286 motherboard.  I need a shareware
|> or commercial program to do this (reliably!).
|
|  Take a look at QRAM from Quarterdeck. It is a version of QEMM for 286's.

No, it's not, and no, it doesn't convert extended to expanded. If you
really want full LIM 4.0, you'll have to get a 386. If you just want
fake EMS, there are various utilities around, including a free one
that was published by PC Magazine. Warning: it's worth what it costs.
It will eat up more than 64Kbytes of your 640Kb conventional memory.
What exactly do you plan to do with this EMS?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
If more freeways causes more freeway usage, why doesn't more