[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multi-windowing Comm software?

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (05/02/90)

In article <6227@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> millerje@scarlatti.CS.ColoState.Edu.UUCP (jeffrey scott miller) writes:
>In article <^FW#NX%@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:
>>In article <46500073@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>>
>>>If anyone has any information on this subject, I would greatly appreciate
>>>some EMail about it.  A friend of mine always uses Unix Windows on the
>>>Atari ST and I was hoping to find something like it for PC's.
>
>After trying MANY PC communications packages, the one I have found to be
>the best, which coincidentally is the only one that multitasks and has
>windows, is TELEMATE v2.00a, a SHAREWARE communications program by Tsung Hu.

This was not the point of the original article.  Unix Windows (and also
D-Net, on the Amiga) is a protocol which allows a pc user to run multiple
sessions on a mainframe and view them in multiple windows, using ONE
CONNECTION.  I would also very much like to see something like this for
Windows (or OS/2); if the Amiga can do it, why can't we?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER: I don't have much experience with UW, but I have friends with

garlangr@ecn.purdue.edu (Mark T Garlanger) (05/03/90)

In article <6861@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:

>This was not the point of the original article.  Unix Windows (and also
>D-Net, on the Amiga) is a protocol which allows a pc user to run multiple
>sessions on a mainframe and view them in multiple windows, using ONE
>CONNECTION.  I would also very much like to see something like this for
>Windows (or OS/2); if the Amiga can do it, why can't we?

If anyone has any technical information on any of these protocols, please
send me email or post something.  I have written a comm program for my
personal use, since it provides nothing more than any of the other shareware
programs out there now.  It does have terminal emulation and several file
transfer protocols.  Anding multiple sessions, is something I am very
interested in if I could find the specs and a program on the unix side.

Please email the information soon, since my last final is Friday evening,
and I will leave that evening.

Thanks

Mark Garlanger             |  I a CEE undergrade, with a very strong emphasis
garlangr@en.ecn.purdue.edu |  on the C.(That is computer not C(not YET)).....