[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Out of slots! HELP!

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (05/02/90)

Just for the interest of net members, what MSDOS motherboard has
12 slots?

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@uncecs.edu           919 286 0411

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (05/02/90)

ftw33616@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What the heck do you have on your computer?

>I have an AT compatible, with standard 12 slots, & I can't even imaginine
>filling up all my slots.

TWELVE SLOTS?  That's standard?  I've never seen one with more than 8.  We
often run out of slots.  Which brand is it that has 12?  Enquiring minds
want to know.

I seem to remember seeing an ad for a tower type machine with lots of slots.
Was it Wells American?  I really don't think 12 is the standard.

I'm not very fond of tower enclosures.  I like to keep my PC on my desk where
I can keep an eye on it.  I don't really trust it.  It might take a bite out
of my leg if it were under the desk.  Might walk away too.  I understand
that PCs are afraid of heights.  They won't try to climb down from a table.
Oh no!  I've drifted off into talk.rumors!  Back to reality.  Whew!

If the original poster would kindly tell us what boards he has, we might be
able to come up with some advice on possible multi-function cards.  Or did
I miss the post with all the details.  I assume that getting a bigger
system is out of the question.  I imagine that there are folks that market
add-on expansion chassis.  I guess they're expensive though.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.034436.13147@uncecs.edu>, mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

> Just for the interest of net members, what MSDOS motherboard has
> 12 slots?

	Wells-American had 13 on one configuration of their modular system,
but they're bankrupt now, which just goes to show that expandability
isn't everything.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) (05/03/90)

A number of "industrial" computers have lots of slots.  We're currently using
a system with 15 slots.  Typically,  these systems have a passive backplane.
What is on the motherboard in ordinary PCs comes on a card in these systems.
There are several vendors and a couple of companies that actually make
these systems.

Walt Dixon		{arpa:		dixon@crd.ge.com	}
			{us mail:	ge crd			}
			{		po box 8		}
			{		schenectady, ny 12301	}
			{phone:		518-387-5798		}

Walt Dixon dixon@crd.ge.com

freak@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (c.e.malloy..iii) (05/03/90)

> TWELVE SLOTS? That's standard? I've never seen one with more than 8. We
> often run out of slots. Which brand is it that has 12? Enquiring minds
> want to know.

I have an AT&T 6386E and it has 10 slots. Nine of them are full.  It
includes:
 1. VGA Video Card
 2. 8Mb Memory.
 3. M.I.D.I. Card
 4. Video Capture Board
 5. Mouse Card
 6. Hard Disk Controller
 7. Scanner Controller
 8. Joystick Controller
 9. Tape Controller
10. (May contain a fax card when my stand-alone fax machine breaks)

Clancy Malloy
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem