[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is it harmful to disk drives?

kperson@plains.UUCP (Kerry Person) (05/02/90)

In article <24435@usc.edu> wan@pollux.usc.edu (Qiang Wan) writes:

>I saw many people put their PC main bodies beside their desks,
>with the box sitting vertically. I am wondering if it is
>harmful to the disk drives (especially the hard disk drives) for
>them to operate in the vertical position. Nowhere in the manual
>of the hard disks seem to carry warning against dispositioned
>placement.
>
>q. wan

My MiniScribe 3650 has been running vertically for 2 years now without a
problem.  My computer manual says that if I do this, to make sure that the
system is within +/- 5 degrees of vertical.
Just to eliminate any possible alignment problems later, I low-level formatted
the drive in that position, as well.  Although I do occasionally set it
horizontally when swapping stuff around inside, and it runs OK that way, too.

Kerry

kperson@plains.nodak.edu
nu157112@vm1.nodak.edu

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (05/02/90)

Vertical is acceptable for most drives, but note that UPSIDE DOWN is almost
always a "prohibited orientation" and will void your warranty.  Not that I
think anyone would try this for any good reason...

--
Kevin Martin  |||  sigma@pawl.rpi.edu  |||  usergkj1@RPITSMTS.BITNET
"Someone take these dreams away that point me to another day!

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (05/03/90)

In article <24435@usc.edu> wan@pollux.usc.edu (Qiang Wan) writes:
*
* I saw many people put their PC main bodies beside their desks,
* with the box sitting vertically. I am wondering if it is
* harmful to the disk drives (especially the hard disk drives) for
* them to operate in the vertical position. Nowhere in the manual
* of the hard disks seem to carry warning against dispositioned
* placement.
----------------
Well, at least _one_ PClone maker thinks there may be problems...
We just received a ZEOS box (a DAMNFINE piece of goods, IMHO) with an
internal hard drive.  And there was a VERY PROMINENT manual-page with
a VERY STRONG warning about box-vs-drive position.
---
It seems that hard drives DO NOT like to work UPSIDE DOWN?!?!?
--
Now, the case we INTENTIONALLY ORDERED is a LARGE DESKTOPPER, and
NOT a STANDER UPPER.  And this case has a BUNCH of drive bays.
Two (I think) of the internal bays, definitely the one with the
present hard drive, are VERTICAL when the CASE IS HORIZONTAL.
--
Which means that standing the box ON END may lead to the having
the DRIVE UPSIDE DOWN.
--
Which is actually pretty well explained in the warning page ZEOS
packed with the beastie.
--
And which would not be hard to fix since the bay and drive in question
use standard mounting rails and have a reasonable bit of room to flip
the drive and still run the cables OK.
--
But the easiest way to mount the drive, which exposes the controlcard
jumpers and testpoints when the case cover is remove, WOULD put the