[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ventura Publisher with portriat monitor

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (05/02/90)

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) writes:

] I have a friend at work that does most of her work in VP in portrait
] mode.  Consequently she has a 19" portrait monitor (Viking).  However,
] on a few occasions she has work to do in landscape mode.  The problem is
] that her portrait monitor will not scroll from side to side.  She would
] like, then, to use her 8512 VGA (standard) monitor to do these jobs since
] you CAN scroll on these.  After searching the documentation neither of us
] could find anything about switching output devices.  In other words,
] short of disconnecting the big monitor is there any way to start up VP
] using the small one?

Ventura 2.0 uses GEM system software ~v3.1.  You should be able to
create different batch files using different screen drivers
(/s=SD*.VGA).  Here are the steps involved:

	1) Copy your viking driver and fonts to a temporary directory.
	2) Install your 8512 VGA driver and fonts.
	3) Copy your viking driver and fonts to their appropriate places.
	4) Copy your VP.BAT batch file to VP2.BAT (or something similar).
	5) Change your VP2.BAT as follows:
		*) change the /s=SD*.VGA (I don't know what your driver names)
		   Which ever driver is in the batch file (VP.BAT) will be your
		   default screen driver.
		*) Look in the ventura directories for this screen driver.
		   Once you find it, there should (if Ventura allows you to
		   install multiple screen drivers) be a second/additional
		   screen driver (SD*.*).
		*) Use this additional driver name in the /s switch.
	5) Use your original/default VP.BAT to run Ventura normally.
	6) Use your modified VP.BAT to run Ventura with your optional driver.

Potential problems:

	Ventura uses a GDOS (Graphical Device Operating System)
(GEM.EXE or something in Ventura-land) that does not (I think) know about
multiple screen drivers.  If I remember correctly, this version of the
GDOS will take the first screen driver (SD*.*) found in a directory search
as the only screen driver UNLESS the /s switch is given.

Email me if you have more problems.  There are people I can't get to right
now that do this on a regular basis, but I think the process above will get
you there.

-- Frotz@Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 Graphics Business Unit			(408) 647-6570 (msg)
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai
[This is News.  This is your brain on News.  Any questions?]

vera@cadence.com (Vera Vallentin-Price) (05/04/90)

In article <5387@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) writes:
>I have a friend at work that does most of her work in VP in portrait
>mode.  Consequently she has a 19" portrait monitor (Viking).  However,
>on a few occasions she has work to do in landscape mode.  The problem is
>that her portrait monitor will not scroll from side to side.  She would
>like, then, to use her 8512 VGA (standard) monitor to do these jobs since
>you CAN scroll on these.  After searching the documentation neither of us
>could find anything about switching output devices.  In other words,
>short of disconnecting the big monitor is there any way to start up VP
>using the small one?

If her Viking monitor is a VGA monitor, she should try Softkicker. That
is an inexpensive program that eliminates scrolling alltogether by
implementing the use of the right button mouse for zooming in and out.
I used to hate having to scroll around the document. Now, I click the
right mouse button to see the entire page (yes, even landscape), and
then I place the mouse cursor in the part of the document that I want
to see and click the right mouse button again. It goes very fast and
becomes second nature.

That does not answer her question about switching monitors, but it may
not be necessary at all with Softkicker. The program is available for
under $100 (I'm not quite sure if it was $79 or $99) and is advertised
in the same magazines that Ventura is advertised in (Publish!, Personal
Publishing, etc.).

Vera.