[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is it [orientation] harmful to disk drives?

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (05/04/90)

In article <24435@usc.edu> wan@pollux.usc.edu (Qiang Wan) writes:

>I saw many people put their PC main bodies beside their desks,
>with the box sitting vertically. I am wondering if it is
>harmful to the disk drives (especially the hard disk drives) for
>them to operate in the vertical position. Nowhere in the manual
>of the hard disks seem to carry warning against dispositioned
>placement.

Dunno about floppies.  For hard drives it depends upon the manufacturer. All of
the Seagate manuals I've seen, for instance, are VERY specific in their manuals
about not elevating the front or back more than 5 degrees from horizontal.
They can however be turned on their sides up to 90 degrees, but no further (ie
not upside down). They should also be formatted in their permanent orientation.
My understanding is that the head positioning mechanism gets worn out on an
angle, and the motor berings can't hack being upside down.  On the fone,
Seagate told me that they would not honor any warrantee if they know that it
has exceeded those limits.  I've heard some newer Seagates don't have limits,
but dont know for sure, nor do I know about the CDC's.  Conner, Quantum,
Miniscribe, Maxtor(?), on the other hand, (of the ones I've seen) specifically
say "any orientation".

Hope this helps,
Al

Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA