[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any gotchas buying Noname 386?

lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) (05/04/90)

 I am looking at buying a noname 386 PC and am wondering if there are
 things I should watch out for. It will have at least 2 meg of memory,
 67 - 80 meg of disk and VGA color. I want to run both Dos and Unix.

 Are there any component brands that I should insist on or avoid?

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (05/04/90)

In article <2851@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) writes:

> I am looking at buying a noname 386 PC and am wondering if there are
> things I should watch out for. It will have at least 2 meg of memory,
> 67 - 80 meg of disk and VGA color. I want to run both Dos and Unix.
>
> Are there any component brands that I should insist on or avoid?

For a motherboard, I recommend AMI or the Micronics motherboards.  They are
very well made motherboards.  I 've heard some bad comments about the Mylex
motherboards (such as being sensitive to heat) a while back, so you might
want to avoid them.  There are also many no-name clone motherboards, most
of good quality.  In general, most good no-name motherboards uses the Chips
and Technologies chipset.

AMI makes the most trouble free 386 BIOS, so I would look for a motherboard
with the AMI BIOS.  The Award and Phoenix BIOS have been a little
troublesome, but not to a great extent.

I recommend getting a large hard drive with your computer.  A full
blown UNIX system in one partition and DOS in another partition could easily
take up over 100 Megs of hard disk space.  I would buy a 160 Meg hard drive.
Good ones are the Seagate Imprimis drives, Micropolis drives, the Conner
drives, and the Microscience drives.  You should get a hard drive that uses
either the ESDI or the SCSI interface simply because they are faster.
A drive running the ST-506/412 interface has a max data transfer rate of
500-750 kb/sec.  A good ESDI or SCSI drive can get 1,000 kb/sec.  Since
you are getting a 386, the slowest part of the computer system is the hard
drive, so why not get the hard drive that can transfer data to the CPU the
fastest?  Good controller manufacturers are DTC, Adaptec, and Western Digital.

Most VGA cards are well made.  I personally prefer the ATI VGA Wonder and the
Paradise VGA cards.  And I would mate them with the best 14" multi-syncing
monitor out on the market, the NEC 3D monitor.   Vivid colors, and great
control over you screen.

And one last thing.  I recommend 8 to 12 Megs of RAM, or at least 4 Megs.
Many versions of UNIX require 4 Megs of RAM.  And for DOS, I run Desqview
386 to use the extra memory to multitask and I use a 1 Meg  Super PC-Kwik
disk cache to speed up my disk performance.

Hope this helps!

Sam Shim
EECS Departmental Computing Organization
University of Michigan

"I'm a computer consultant.  My job is to deal with User IQ errors!" - me

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/04/90)

lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) writes:

> I am looking at buying a noname 386 PC and am wondering if there are
> things I should watch out for. It will have at least 2 meg of memory,
> 67 - 80 meg of disk and VGA color. I want to run both Dos and Unix.
>
> Are there any component brands that I should insist on or avoid?

Avoid DTK motherboards.  They have a well documented problem with going in and
out of protected mode.  So well documented, that there's a patch to make
Novell Netware run with a DTK motherboard.  Deals with their proprietary cache
controller to my understanding.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */