[comp.sys.ibm.pc] McAfee's FSHIELD ver 1.2 problems

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/02/90)

In article <209@keele.keele.ac.uk> coa44@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Mark Scase) writes:
[...]
>The prgram works without any problems on machines running MSDOS 3.3.
>However, when run on machines running MSDOS 4.01 with SHARE.EXE installed
>(for >32MB partitions), the program crashes and gives:
>Runtime error 006 at 0000:02E9
>This looks like a Turbo Pascal error message indicating an "invalid file
>handle passed to a DOS system call".
>If I boot a PC from a floppy with DOS 4.01 with SHARE.EXE not present then
>the program does not crash (but DOS complains during booting that SHARE
>should be loaded). [...]
>Has anyone out there also experienced this problem?

The problem is that SHARE.EXE does two things: it handles file locking
when networking is used, and it converts fcb type file system calls into
handle type calls. Unfortunately, under DOS 4.01 with extended partitions
the older fcb type calls can corrupt the disk (it has happened to me when
I intentionally didn't use SHARE).

The file locking is the problem, generally on programs that have been
improperly written. The programs that have failed to work include PTR.EXE
(the WordPerfect 5.0 printer driver editor program, version 5.1 is ok),
4DOS version 3.0 (actual problem here turned out to be a bug in SHARE that
prohibited the NUL device from being shared!), Phar Lap VMM/386 virtual
memory manager/dos extender (has since been fixed). I've had occasional
failures with other programs as well.

I came up with an interim solution to the problem (which I have since stopped
using), NOSHARE.COM, a tsr that returns "failure" for all fcb style file
references. This way the old programs (that should be retired?) will fail
to work, but won't trash the system, while the recent programs that hang up
with SHARE will work because share is not loaded! To use this program,
invoke it in your autoexec.bat. Also rename SHARE.EXE, or hide it, so that
it will not be automatically loaded. It does no good to have both SHARE and
NOSHARE loaded.

section 1 of uuencode 3.16 of file noshare.com    by R.E.M.

begin 644 noshare.com
MZ0@`]`$`````"@"\FA_'!@4!F!^]_A^)+@<!_.@Z`+@`3,TA`````(#\#W0*`
M@/P6=`4N_RZ``+#_SUY86EL>CMNT)<TA'__FM#7-(8G8C,/#N@H`N``QS2'H>
M2@`'3D]32$%21>A1`.@\``M">2!4;VT@06QM>>@_`+@A`.C)_Z,D`8D>)@&ZB
M)`%2NH``4KH6`%+H40",R%"ZA`!2NB$`4NB7_^FK_UN*!S#D0U-0`<-86E.)=
MT^DA`+@-`.@)`+@*`.D#``$``*+&`;1`N0$`NL8!BQ[$`<TAPXG!B=J+'L0!;
3M$#-(<-;65]>XP:,V([`\Z3_XZ3_F
``
end
sum -r/size 53542/375 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 4841/244 entire input file

Naturally, if you use this program it is at your own risk. Personally,
every day I debate about going back to 3.3. It's smaller, faster, and the
big partition still breaks some utilities (PCTools Compress and PCBackup
won't work, even the latest version, and Fastback Plus has problems).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (05/03/90)

> I have downloaded John McAfee's FSHIELD ver 1.2 from simtel20 and I am
> having problems getting it to run on PCs with MSDOS ver 4.01.
> (FSHIELD is a program which adds code to executable programs and shields
> them from virus infections.)

> Mark Scase

  There is a new version, 1.3, now available.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

markp@microsoft.UUCP (Mark PENNINGTON) (05/06/90)

So that's why it died on me.  I have one 110mb hard-disk with MS-DOS
4.01 installed and tried to use the program myself.  It died a most
un-natural death.